Saturday, April 19, 2014

It's a BOY!

That's right, folks!  We will be welcoming our third son to the family and we couldn't be happier!  Weber is particularly satisfied that she will remain Daddy's Little Girl forever.  

First and foremost, this baby is healthy, from what we can tell via ultrasound.  Everyone focuses on the 20 week ultrasound as the big boy/girl disclosure, but we know that for so many families this is a moment of life-altering news about their child's health.  I have always gone into these halfway ultrasounds with that tentative excitement, truly praying for healthy over all.  We are just so thankful for that most important good news, more than pink or blue!  


I have to admit, I would have put money on this baby being a girl.  Not because we were trying for one or because I really wanted one more than a boy, but that was just my gut feeling.  Even Riggs and Rhett thought it was a girl!  This pregnancy has been so very different from my others and I bought into the wives tales thinking that indicated a different baby too!  I've always been a bit intimidated by the idea of a daughter, and always wanted to be a boy mom, but this time around I had started to come around to the idea of all the unique joys of having a girl and had gotten a little excited about about that possibility.  This was a huge change for me as in my previous pregnancies I was downright anxious about that possibility!  (No offense to my girl mama friends!)


When the ultrasound tech announced "It's a boy!" out of nowhere and without warning, I was just stunned.  Not upset or sad, just shocked!  My gut feeling was totally wrong!  (I had similar feelings about Riggs being a boy so I guess I was a bit overconfident in my accuracy record!).  It took me a few minutes to process reality, but thankfully Baby Boy left zero question about his anatomy!  Jonathan, on the other hand, immediately started belly laughing.  He has said it was a third boy all along, so this just confirmed his instincts and he was thrilled!  

Once the shock wore off, I did allow myself a moment to process.  It's hard to articulate, because I am really and truly excited to have another boy.  But there was also a small part of me that had to acknowledge that since this is probably our last baby I will never have a daughter.  I just had to take a minute to let go of everything that goes with that.  Once Jonathan and I got to chat about that in the car afterward, I was good to go and able to fully embrace my joy over this little boy!

We got to enjoy a celebratory date night together at Whisky Cake (a delicious virgin cocktail for me, fried green tomatoes, mussels with chorizo and fennel, lamb french dip, and whisky cake of course!) and talked and laughed about our future with three little boys.  We reflected on how amazing it was that God knew our plans to move back to Oklahoma and live in a cute little historic home in Midtown were totally not what we needed, and led us so perfectly to our home out in the country that will be perfect for three boys.  A few months ago we had a builder come out to confirm whether or not our attic could be refinished into a bonus room in the future, so we laughed that we'll now really need that attic room as a man cave for these three fellas!  (Gotta keep the boy smells confined if I can, right? ;)  We talked about the huge responsibility of raising men who will love God, their families, and their communities.  We dreamed about the bond these brothers will share as they grow together.  And then we high tailed it over to Full Circle Bookstore to flip through some baby name books since we have NO EARTHLY IDEA what we are going to name this sweet child!  Suggestions welcome!  

Thankfully, Riggins and Rhett were excited about the news of their baby brother too!  Since Riggins was so confident he was having a sister, I worried about his reaction, but he didn't skip a beat!  It has been fun to experience pregnancy with a child who is old enough to have some understanding (although he did try to look at the baby through my belly button the other day, so we're not totally there ;)

Baby boy, we love you so much already and look forward to meeting you soon.  Thanks for officially making me a full-blown Boy Mom!  


4 comments:

Mandi said...

I felt the same way when we found we were having a boy this time. I honestly thought I'd end up a girl mom! So excited for you.

Leslie J said...

Leslie, I loved reading this! Glad you're back blogging!

I'm sure things feel a little more wistful this time anyway, since you are pretty sure this is your last pregnancy. But how awesome to KNOW the makeup of your family from here on out. Three boys! I love having married into a family with all brothers--the wives' club is a secret sisterhood I never anticipated being in. You'll have one of your own! Something else you may/may not have thought of---ALL of your family members will have the same last name! Your phone will have so many Poes in it, you won't know what hit you. :)

Love you friend! God could not have designed a better "boy mom."
xoxo

Sweet Simplicity said...

Congratulations on a boy! I loved getting caught up on your life. I'm so sorry you are experiencing eye problems. It looks so painful.

Erin said...

I feel like I was reading my own third half-way ultrasound/gender reveal experience...except regarding the opposite gender! ;) It was sad for a second that we'll probably never have a son, but, like you said, once we talked it through and got it out of our systems, we were so pumped about having three little ladies. You are going to be the QUEEN of the Poe house, my friend! Well, you and Weber, of course. Co-Queens. ;) So happy for you, friend!! You looked beautiful in your Easter picture, btw. Pregnancy has always suited you.