Tuesday, November 1, 2011

All Aboard!

The Riggins Express came to town last night, and boy was it a fun ride!  

At the risk of all-out cheesy sappiness, I'm just going to say it: last night was one of those nights where being a mom is just magical.  Getting my little guy all dressed up, watching him toddle around the neighborhood, reach into a huge bowl of candy with wide eyes of disbelief, and say "Bye Bye" to the generous neighbors just made me beam with joy.  As evidenced by my somewhat psychotic stage-mom face in the photo below.  Yikes.  
  

But seriously...this little boy is worth some joy and excitement, don't you think?  


I was fully prepared for him to want nothing to do with his costume, and to spend the evening walking alongside my little engineer holding his locomotive.  Much to our surprise, he wore the whole getup the entire night!  


Most of the families in our church community group live in our neighborhood, and a couple of families live on the same street.  We headed their way to trick-or-treat with the whole gang.  





We wrapped up our trick-or-treating just as my usual Jazzercise class was getting out.  I knew my Jazzercise friends would love seeing Riggs all dressed up, so we stopped by.  Everyone had been encouraged to dress in costumes for class, so here is Riggins with some of the ladies in costume!    


The great thing about this costume was that it will now make a fun toy!  I am all about the cheap, homemade costume.  My mother-in-law had sent him the overalls, and that was the inspiration for the whole thing.  


 The only thing I had to purchase was the hat (from a local model train shop) and a couple of cans of spray paint!  The train itself is just a diaper box, an oatmeal can, a couple of cut-up cereal boxes, and some fiberfill left over from a sewing project.  The light is just one of those battery operated push lights that we were using in a closet.  All you need is a box knife, some packing tape, and a hot glue gun to get it all together!  (I embellished with some foil on the wheels, some gold acrylic paint that I already had, and a Union Pacific logo that I printed off the internet.)


 I used this tutorial for inspiration when getting started, and I started and finished it in one afternoon nap time...super simple!  If your little one likes trains, this might be a cheap and easy project that they would enjoy any time of year!  
  

I know some folks out there aren't big on the whole Halloween thing, but I say what can be wrong with dressing up your kid, taking some fun photos, mingling with your neighbors, and getting some candy out of the deal?  Jonathan and I capped off the evening by greeting a few trick-or-treaters of our own, then watching Harry Potter while eating caramel apples.  

A magical night, indeed.  

11 comments:

Kiersten said...

That costume is absolutely precious! Way to go, mom! I am 100% with you on creative, home-made costumes as the way to go. Nice work!

TLF said...

Fantastic costume.. so adorable!!

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness!! What a great costume!! Ok, I have to ask....where did you get that grey top you have on?? It is too cute!

Whitney said...

This is just AMAZING! love love love!

mckenziegordon said...

So cute! You would come up with a fun homemade costume. I had good intentions of doing the same thing, but I just bought a cow at Target instead. Riggs looked great!

Janet said...

Your son's train costume is so adorable! I wish I had thought to add the extras that you put on yours--all such great ideas! I absolutely LOVE the puff of smoke. Thanks so much for e-mailing me the link so I could check it out. :)

Meredith said...

How adorable!!!!

Meredith said...

Seriously--you did an incredible job on his costume! And he looked precious!

Holly said...

That is, hands down, the best costume I've seen. You're so creative to throw that together! Riggins looks adorable! :)

Auburn said...

I totally agree about the night being magical. And if I consider myself a halfway decent mom I think I must make Jude (lover of all choo-choos) a train all his own to drive. Thanks for the tutorial. :)

Anonymous said...

This is adorable! I'd love to feature this costume during a DIY dress up series I'm doing on my blog in October. Please email me if you are interested!
Anna
lassothemoon.typepad.com
lassothemoonshop@gmail.com