The trees are blossoming in Memphis. Poor little dears. They are confused. As are the bulbs pushing up in my back yard and my camelia bush now blooming with bright pink flowers. Funny how they make me happy at the sign of spring but sad to know that they will probably all get frozen again at least once before spring truly arrives. I am SO ready for warmth! I used to think that I loved cold weather, and I do, but just a taste of it, please. I have reached my limit of harsh winds and red noses.
My friend Stacy was in the area last weekend and drove down to join me for a little brunch at Cafe Eclectic. It was such a treat to see a familiar face and to have a conversation that does not have to start with, "So...where are you from....and what do you do....and where did you go to college...how long have you lived in Memphis...yada yada yada...." We commiserated about the hardships of running a household when your spouse is in a doctoral program (her hubby is this close to finishing up his Ph.D.) and she filled me in on the most wonderful of websites: www.flylady.net. Fly Lady gives very practical schedules for housework and gave me one little bit of wisdom that has changed my life: Housework done incorrectly still blesses your family. I get so discouraged by my lack of time/energy that I get overwhelmed by the task of cleaning the entire house, which then leads me to throw up my hans and not do anything at all. Not good. FlyLady has me on the road to recovery. Thanks, Stacy!
Yesterday was one of those lonely days. Those of you who have experienced the rollercoaster of moving to a new place know exactly what I mean. There are just times when despite the fact that you love your new city, your new job, your new church, etc., something will happen that just makes you miss your peeps. You know...those people who just get you. You don't have to explain yourself. You are understood even when you didn't articulate yourself perfectly or when you're not even sure exactly what you are trying to say. Your sense of humor is appreciated, as are your values. I was feeling that void yesterday and it was not fun. So I ate a nice big slice of homemade bread, which masked the void quite nicely.
7 comments:
I'm sorry you had a lonely day. It's hard to pick up on those things via gmail messenger. And there I was asking you to help me pick out a swimsuit. Oops. Hope you're feeling a bit better today!!! :)
I understand the lonely thing, too. Good thing it only comes in small spurts, and then you can get right back to exploring your new town! :)
I know the feeling...Friends are the one thing missing from Sayre. Everything else is going really well. It sucks when you feel alone on the edge of the world. The hardest part for me is having to try so hard with all the relationships I make. I miss the easy conversation old friends have to offer. Hang in there! Focus on the good. That's what I tell myself.
I hope you are feeling better today! As you probably know, one day it is the horrible homesick feeling and the next day you are thinking there is no where else you'd rather be :) Tricky emotion, that loneliness.
Haven't gotten to try out the crepes yet...our "romantic dinner at home" plans got a wee bit interrupted. But hopefully this weekend!
Flylady is awesome. I don't use the site much anymore, but I used it to get a routine down so I can spend more time doing fun things and less time cleaning.
I hear you on the loneliness thing. I live far away from pretty much all the people I care about most and it can be kind of miserable. Sometimes we just have to eat a slice of homemade bread, while the rest of the time we make the most of where we're at.
I totally understand! It wasn't bad when we moved to Oklahoma and then here to Houston because we have friends and family in both places.
But right after we got married and we moved to Florida, that was the worst!! We were in this little ghetto apartment (and I mean ghe-toe!) and we had ZERO friends.
And I could only go to school part time and work part time, so I had so much down time on my hands. I literally cried once a week for about 6 months! Then we moved to a nice house on base, and we met those most amazing couple. I stopped crying. It WILL get better! :)
I miss you Leslie! Everytime I think about calling you, I either have 10 minutes, or it is late at night...but I have decided that I am just going to call you the next time I have 10 minutes...I'll take whatever I can get! :)
Post a Comment