
The lovely Rachel has asked me if I could recommend a yummy dessert for Valentine's Day. Boy, do I have a doozie!
I first made these banana crepes with chocolate-hazelnut sauce for Valentine's Day 2004, the year that Jonathan and I were engaged to be married that July. For some reason, Valentine's Day that year seemed extra special with a wedding just around the corner. We have never been big Valentine's Day celebraters (if that is a word?), and that year set the tone for our typical Valentine's Day of choice: a nice dinner at home, perhaps a rented movie, and usually some small gifts.
On that February day in 2004, Jonathan arrived at the Georgia House in Shawnee, flowers and Godiva truffles in hand (How all four of my roomies managed to be out of town on the same weekend I do not recall!). I remember that I had bought him a bottle of Burberry cologne (he had still been working the Polo Sport which always reminded me of high school; it was time for an upgrade! My roomie Matty was in the same boat and we spent an hour at the Dillard's fragrance counter smelling every scent and then making the clerk do blind smell tests for us! Kenneth Cole Black was the runner-up). I distinctly remember making steaks with a mustard sauce, roasted green beans with dill vinagrette, and some sort of potato [Yes, I realize that it is weird to remember an entire meal, but you have to know how my mind works: food = memories. I also write in the margins of my cookbooks, noting what I made the recipe for, the date, who was there, etc. It brings back great memories when flipping through the book later. Jonathan's grandmother did this on some of her recipes and they are so precious to me. You should start!]
But...the pièce de résistance was dessert. If the boy had not already put a ring on my finger, he would have left dinner, run to the nearest jewelry store, and proposed right then and there. If there are two things that Jonathan loves it is bananas and Nutella. Preferably together. (And cereal, but that doesn't really go in this mix). This dessert was the perfect blend. As he savored each bite, he looked at me with adoration in his eyes and I knew that this recipe would be in my ammunition for a long time.
Now, I know what you're thinking: crepes!?! Don't I have to be a beret-wearing Parisian to make crepes???
To which I reply: if you can make pancakes, you can make crepes. All you need is a large skillet, a good rubber spatula, and a quick flip of the wrist. And a word of warning: your first crepe is ALWAYS a bust. Even the professionals say that. So just be prepared to toss your first one.
The recipe is linked above, but you should know about a little adaptation I make. Since it is from Cooking Light, you will notice that the bananas are briefly sauteed in non-stick cooking spray.
Pshaw. Go home, Pam.
Butter is in town.
Saute your bananas in about a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of brown sugar (and maybe even a dash of cinnamon if you're real crazy) before tucking them inside the warm crepes. Oh, and contrary to the picture above, we like our crepes with quite a bit more sauce drizzled on top. It's Valentines Day, people! Live a little!
So there you go: a dessert for lovers. Bon Apetit!
6 comments:
I love the idea to write when and who you made the recipe for. I will have to start doing this!
Wow, that sounds so good. I might have to try this....!
YUM! Thanks so much Leslie. This looks delicious and I can't wait to try!
ohhh!! I think I willl be making this!!
sounds delicious! I'm definately going to have to try those.
looks yummy to me, but my hubster isn't much of a banana for dessert fan.
and random question- do you and jonathan call each other sweetie? i'm imagining you're "babe" people. i don't know why.
Post a Comment