Tuesday, February 10, 2009

These Boots Were Made for Buying

I have been on a boot hunt for some time now. It all started when I failed to purchase a pair of authentic sheep's wool lined boots in New Zealand last winter. Oh, regret. Since then, the object of my desire has varied over time: Uggs, non-Ugg fur-lined boots, riding boots, etc. Unfortunately, boots are not cheap, so for this bargain lover to plop down $100 + buckaroos on a pair of boots, it must be love. True love.

For Christmas, Jonathan bought me these:Cute, yes? Unfortunately, J.Crew left me sorely disappointed. Those cute little laces wouldn't stay tied for more than 5 minutes, the sole had zero support, the inside seaming was poorly sewn, leaving little pieces of leather sticking out and digging into the back of my heel. All in all, I have purchased better quality from Target. Sorry, J.Crew, but this time your price tag was the only indicator of quality in your product.

Ever since that fateful December, I have been searching. Aimlessly. Until one day last week when I happened upon these beauties from Steve Madden. Lovely color, just a hint of a wedge heel (all the better for my short legged/long torsoed self), a little buckle for fun. I was smitten.

And then, just to seal the deal, at last week's recruitment meeting one of the advisors walked in wearing some adorable boots that immediately caught my eye. It was them. They had come to me. I tried to minimize my jubilation when I asked her what kind of boots they were; I had to be sure. Yes, my friends...they were the ones. She proceeded to tell me how comfortable they are and that she wears them four out of seven days of the week. I could feel the heavens opening and shining down on me.

A year of searching...finished.

But wait...it gets better. I hopped online yesterday, dismayed that Amazon, Zappos, and Madden himself were all sold out of my beloved boot. I was heartbroken and shared my dismay with my partner-in-crime here at the office, the lovely Beka. Shortly thereafter, my inbox "blinged" at me with an email from Beka. And a link. To Bare Feet Shoes. With the boots. On sale. Hoorah!

As I paid for my purchase, I noticed the little "enter discount code here" box and suddenly recalled a magazine article about these mysterious little coupon codes. I opened a new window, googled "Bare Feet Shoes Discount Codes" and Voila! A list of codes for all kinds of discounts classified by date. I copied and pased one into that coupon box and what do you know? $15 off my purchase. (This may be old hat to you folks in blog-land, but it was a revelation to me...in that moment, I was a genius and the only person ever on the internet to find a discount code. Don't burst my bubble!)

So including shipping, the entire thing came in under what Jonathan had paid for my initial gift. I am saving that boy SO MUCH MONEY! (Or so he tells me, but I sense just a hint of sarcasm in his tone... ;)

Now let's all cross our fingers and hope that when these pretty puppies arrive in the mail they will live up to the hype inside my head. I'll keep you posted.

6 comments:

Katie said...

Oh, sorry, I'm just over here WIPING THE DROOL OFF OF MY KEYBOARD. I LOVE those boots!!! Do post a picture of them when they come to you!!

LyndsAU said...

ok now I want some and that coupon code :) pleeease :) i have been looking for some too :)

Erin said...

Um, I might copy you.

Pleasant Living said...

Hey, thanks for that whole discount code tip. I've never heard of that! Lovely boots!

Meredith said...

I'm so sad the J.Crew boots were such a disappointment! HOWEVER! The new boots are glorious!! I have a similar pair and I wear them all of the time. They're so comfortable!! Looking forward to seeing cute pictures of you sporting them.

emily said...

the boots are hot. and the googling discount codes is genius! i just hope i remember to do it next time i order something online. hope you guys had fun at the cabin. and let's make plans to get together while jon is gone!