Every few days I have a moment. It can be triggered by any number of things: baby clothes, a baby in the grocery store, a glimpse in the mirror, a particularly noticeable movement in my belly, a chapter on childbirth.
Something will remind me that in a matter of only two months, I will give birth to a baby.
And that baby will be ours.
And we will take him home.
And we will be responsible for keeping him alive and making sure he becomes a functioning, capable human being.
And after those thoughts go buzzing through my head, I often think:
"Nah...No way. That can't be possible!"
In those moments, I just can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that this is all going to happen. And soon. The reality of it is so huge that I just can't quite grasp it.
I welcome it.
I'm excited about it.
I'm terrified by it.
But sometimes I just can't even believe it.
And here is where all you veteran moms tell me that these moments of utter denial are completely normal.
Right?
Hello????
Anyone out there???
Friday, March 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Ok so this is funny because I just read this post and scrolled down to see zero comments. I know you will get a lot, but I guess I am one of the first to read this. I am sure it is normal.
-Kathryn
It is oh so very normal. I also used to have these weird almost panic attack moments when I thought "Oh my gosh - I'm actually going to bring a baby home with me". I don't think I really believed it until the day we walked in our front door. Enjoy the last few "moments" of pregnancy, and while having a child is the greatest thing ever, enjoy those last few moments of just you and your husband.
No worries, it is common. I'm still having the same kind of thoughts the second time around. A new life that's your responsibility is just too awesome to comprehend! Utterly amazing and utterly terrifying!
Well no baby here yet, but I know this is exactly what I would be thinking too at some point because even now I look at pregnant women sometimes and I'm just in awe of the whole process. Wow 2 people can make a human a sweet little baby made from 2 parents it really is a miracle.
NORMAL.
:)
and when it's time to leave the hospital you'll be thinking, are you sure? You're just going to let us walk out of her and take him home? we don't need to take a test or something?
haha
Pretty sure there are still days that I cannot believe that Daisy is ours!
Obviously I can't really answer your question but I CAN tell you that you're going to be an excellent mom and Riggs is going to be one loved little boy. I can't wait!
totally normal. you all are going to be such great parents!!! i am confident of that. enjoy this time of getting ready...it's a beautiful time and season of change...by the way, i love the name Riggins!
Les, I have been feeling the exact same way! My feelings go from complete disbelief to excitement to being scared out of my mind. I saw a little boy in Olive Garden the other day and I thought to myself, "Oh my word, in just over a couple of months I am going to be a mom. I am going to be responsible for a little boy. I won't be babysitting and sending him home. He will be mine." Then, I thought, "Oh my word, look how adorable that little boy is. It is going to be the best thing ever to be a mom. To watch him grow and learn about this world."
I hope that it is normal to have all of these feelings. I think that they will drive me to be a better mom and always evaluate what I could do better.
I think that you and Jonathan are going to be amazing parents! I can't wait to see it in action and learn from you guys! It will be great to be able to have our little boys play with one another!
First of all, when I opened your blog, in little fine print highlighted in yellow it stated: Notify blogger for objectional content.
Ummm...what's that all about! :)
And about the post...
I still have those thoughts. I will be holding MY baby and looking in the mirror at MY baby and I will think, Oh my gosh, this is my baby. I'm a mommy to this baby.
It's surreal. And it's the best thing in the world.
Hope you're feeling fantastic!
I felt this way the whole time I was pregnant and still do even though I'm holding her as I type! I literally felt like I was having an out of body experience while I was in the hospital...but cherish every moment of it b/c the anticipation/delivery of your sweet baby is absolutely incredible (I already sort of miss that part- weird!). You will be a wonderful mother :)
btw, be SO glad you don't wash your hair daily...I'm lucky to even brush my hair these days, let alone style/wash it!
Post a Comment