Thursday, May 6, 2010

April 29: The Warm Up

The streets of Memphis are relatively quiet at 4:20 a.m. And if your wife is about to have a baby, that gives you full justification for a bit of speeding and red light-running.



Jonathan made it to the hospital in record time, but a few blocks from the hospital we noticed the glaring lights of a police car in our rear view mirror. He immediately turned on his hazzards and blinker, but the lights did not subside.



We exited for the hospital, thinking that surely the cop would catch on and leave us alone. Blinker on for the entrance to the Woman's Hospital. Still followed. Pull in to the drop-off area. Tailed.



Are. You. Kidding. Me.



I get out of the car, hugging my humongous belly, just as the officer exits her car.



"Officer, I'm in labor and that's why my husband is speeding."



"I don't care. I've had a baby, and I know that you're not about to have the baby right here and now. He should have stopped and told me it was an emergency and I would have let him go."



Jonathan, still in the car, tells me to go on up to be admitted. He stayed behind, where the officer definitely made him show all of his identification and registration and gave him a lengthy warning.



For the love.



I was admitted and told that I was now at 6 cm. Jonathan joined me soon thereafter, and after all of the hubbub that comes with being admitted to the hospital we were finally wheeled to a room.


Let the games begin!

9 comments:

Joe said...

Hmmm... You would have thought a female police officer with children would have been a little more sensitive... tough broad.

Rachel DeCarolis said...

Loving the story!!!

keely said...

This is seriously movie material.

Kaitlin said...

Oh my gosh!!! The stories leading up to your labor/delivery are something you only see in the movies! Riggins will love hearing these told over and over again. Too funny! (And, female cops ALWAYS seem to be the most unsympathetic...I could go on, but I'll spare you the novel!).

Christi said...

oh my goodness, that is crazy!

A Nerd and A Free Spirit said...

geez. That cop clearly has some sort of power issue. That is ridiculous. I would have punched her in the face. Okay, not really, but i would have really wanted to. ha. And it does make for a great story. (-:

~Kathryn

danielle said...

are you kidding me... that is CRAZY.

Sweet Simplicity said...

You have quite the story to tell! How crazy!

Lea said...

I have to say it....Only here in Memphis! Some people really do lack compassion for others. As Stephanie Tanner would say "How rude!"