Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Weepies

Now that I am coming out of the haze of the first month with a newborn, I want to start sharing some thoughts on this new thing in my life called motherhood. With no further ado, my first topic: The Weepies.

So I had a baby. And I was thrilled about it. Elated. Ecstatic.

And then, out of nowhere, the roller coaster of emotions went from the highest high to a gut-punching low. The dips would come within minutes, with no warning, and while I could feel it happening I was powerless to stop it, powerless to fake it. Before long I would be engulfed in tears. Not just "Oh, what a beautiful moment...[insert glistening eyes here]" tears. But weeping, sobbing, ugly cry tears.

I felt like a lunatic, sitting there in a hospital room full of family members, or on the couch at home with my husband and new baby, and just sobbing my eyes out for no good reason at all. I couldn't explain it. I couldn't resist it. I was just sad. And I had to cry.

Most of the time, I could not pinpoint a cause for my emotions other than a raging tide of postpartum hormones. If there ever was an impetus, it was usually the overwhelming realization of how fast everything was passing me by.

Pregnancy was fast.

Our time in the hospital was fast.

Our time with our parents was fast.

Riggins is going to grow up fast.

Life is going to go by fast.

And those thoughts would come at an irrationally fast clip, leaving me in tears within seconds. Though I had read enough pregnancy books to know that these emotions were hormonal and normal (and enough blogs to know that I was not alone), I still felt absolutely crazy. I was thrilled to be a mother, head-over-heels for my baby, and felt pretty confident about caring for him. But in the midst of it all, I just felt sad. And I just had to cry. A lot.

Thankfully, I have a precious husband and family who reassured me that it was ok--necessary, no less--to cry, even about nothing at all. Within a week, I was able to pinpoint a few things that would be essential for me: visitors, outings, and walks around the neighborhood. Each time I enjoyed one of those things, I noticed an improvement in my mood, and I began to have hope that my personal variety of the "baby blues" would probably improve sooner than later and not fall into the postpartum depression category.

One thing that got me through those complex feelings during that first week was that I knew of at least one person, a fellow blogger, who had opened up about her postpartum weepies (Hi, Whitney!). Knowing that I was not the first to experience these feelings made me feel a little less crazy! As a result, I committed to writing about this as soon as I could so that I could give other expectant moms a heads-up about this potential after-effect of labor and delivery. Warn your husband that it is a possibility, and prepare yourself for these feelings if they come your way. You are normal, and they will subside! If they don't subside after two weeks, contact your OB or pediatrician for help. But most importantly, let yourself go there. Sit down and have a good sob about nothing. Don't try to push it away, because it will come out eventually!

And when it doubt, a good snuggle with your newborn works wonders too.



7 comments:

Kelly said...

I really appreciate your post, if for nothing more than to warn Andy that the weepies may be coming!!! I was sick last year for a little over 2 weeks, and as I was on the mend, I would cry-sob- for absolutely no reason at all!!! LOL, I think it's just our bodies handling things! I remember feeling crazy for having no reason for the tears, but they came non the less!

p.s. Riggs is ADORABLE! :D

Angela said...

I'm glad you already know that you are not crazy nor alone in your weepy state. I will never forget the first week home with Rooke, I was in my room, sitting in the rocker, nursing him. And then it happened. It just came over me. I started weeping - for no good reason! I called my mom back to the room and through my uncontrollable tears sobbed, "Is this normal?". She affirmed me that it was and sat with me as I lost it. It's one of those many "phases" we get to go through in motherhood.

danielle said...

yep.. totally normal. and sooo hard to explain. the majority of mine happened WHILE pregnant.. my body reacted differently.. but there were definitley a couple of times after he was here, that i was a mess. :) you are doing GREAT!

Erin said...

Well said. I had the dang weepies for a few weeks, and mine were centered around not wanting to share her AT ALL. One time when my mom was staying with us, she held Emery so I could go lay down for a nap. I took my phone with me into the bedroom, and within 10 minutes, I was weeping. I called her (mind you, she was sitting in the next room...) and had her bring my baby to me so we could keep snuggling. Oh, I also WEPT about leaving my favorite nurse (Nurse Judy) at the hospital. Loved her. You are not alone with the weepies!!! Glad you are coming out of them, though. LIfe seems more normal after that first whirlwind month. You are doing a great job, friend!!!

Katie said...

Someone told me that tears come with breast milk. SO TRUE! Love this precious post. :)

Life and Times . . . said...

After a c-section and an premature baby I tried my best to pretend that my emotions were in check and I had everything under control. Without going into too much detail, I was exhausted and stressed, and I came dangerously close to plunging into full post partum depression. Finally, one day at the end of my rope I let my mother-in-law and my mom know how I was feeling, and you know what I almost immediately felt better. I also talked to my doctor about how my expectations were way off - um I never expected to miss my baby showers and bring home a 4 and 1/2lb jaundiced baby who refused to eat. Needless to say talking about it helped tremendously. I think it's good to open up not only for yourself, but so that others know they're not alone.

Haley Nicodemus said...

You said it perfectly!