On Sunday night, I embarked on a little "first" my own. Riggins has had a bit of a monopoly on "firsts" around here these days, and I thought it was high time I join in on the fun. So this weekend marked my first-ever solo trip since having a baby. No carseat in the back. No gear. No fellas. Just me. And it was just what the doctor ordered!
I hope that you are lucky enough to have a friend like Anna. Strangely enough, Anna and I have only shared about three months of actually living in the same town. We sat a row apart in a human development class during grad school at Baylor, and after being paired for a group project we became dear friends in a flash. So dear that when she got engaged that semester, she asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding. She left Waco that summer, but we remained friends, and over the years we have shared one of those wonderful relationships where you just pick right up where you left off, wondering how on earth you could be so in tune with someone you only see once in a blue moon. And it sure doesn't hurt that she sends the most thoughtful gifts a girl could ever dream of!
Anna now lives in the San Francisco area, but she is originally from Jackson, Mississippi. Now, I like to say that I am a Southern girl, but truth be told, I am the daughter of a Maine potato queen and a Colorado mountain man. Ever since moving to Arkansas in the fifth grade, I have found my true home in humidity, monogramming, magnolias, and a few "bless your hearts." But Anna is the real deal, and her Southern charm is a big part of what endears my little wannabe heart to her.
When she emailed to say that she would be in Jackson for the week, I knew that it was the perfect opportunity to leave my boys for a night of girly fun with my favorite Southern belle. I packed my bag (Did you read that? Bag! Just one little tote bag! Miraculous!) and hit I-55 South for three hours of blaring music and absolutely no reaching into the back seat with toys, snacks, or pacifiers. The drive was half the fun of this solo flight.
Once in Jackson, Anna and I once again picked right up where we left off, chatting about topics from marriage, to babies, to being at home full-time, to clothes, to families, to church...and back again a time or two. We perused Target before joining her precious mom, Kathy, for what I can confidently say was one of the best restaurant meals I have had in a good long while. If you're ever in Jackson, stop by Bravo and get the lemonfish and banana creme brulee! We stuffed ourselves silly and just had a wonderful time catching up.
The next morning, I slept in until 8:45 (actually, I woke up at 7, but willed myself to continue sleeping in fifteen minute increments, just because I could!) and then lounged over coffee and breakfast (which included grits, of course!) in Kathy's beautiful kitchen. We chatted over breakfast until I realized that it was noon! I had told Jonathan that I would leave by lunchtime! Oops. I hit the road back to Memphis, refreshed, rested, and so thankful for God's gift of friendship.
Anna and I on her wedding day. Wasn't she a beautiful bride?

2 comments:
It sounds like it was a wonderful girls' trip! Sometimes there's nothing as refreshing as spending some quality time with girlfriends that have known you forever. Glad you got to catch up!
Friends like that are such a blessing and a rarity. I am so thankful to have a few like that. I never really did growing up until OBU. Looks like you guys had a great and refreshing time! (-:
~Kathryn
Post a Comment