Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Season Ends

J just left for the last day of his summer externship.  And we are sad.

For the past year and a quarter, our little family has enjoyed a sweet season of life, and that season ends on Monday.  When Riggins was born, J began his 3rd year of optometry school.  You may remember that 3rd year included the first part of board exams that were taken last Spring.  In preparation for those exams, third year students have a significant amount of free time built into their schedules that is intended to be study time.  Last January and February, J used that extra study time to the fullest.  But last fall and last spring once boards were over, he enjoyed at least one day off per week (sometimes two), and the luxury of coming home for lunch quite often.  He came home at a decent hour every night.  

Then, this summer, his externship down in Mississippi had an awesome schedule.  The practice was closed on Mondays and didn't open until 2 on Thursdays, so all summer he has been working 3 1/2 hour days.  It has been bliss.  

Honestly, this schedule has made my first year of motherhood so much easier.  I fully realize that.  If I really needed to run an errand without Riggins during the week, or desperately needed some girl time, I could almost always arrange for J to watch Riggins at some point during the week.  Most importantly, we have been spoiled to enjoy so much quality time together as a family, and J has been given an opportunity that few fathers are offered: frequent one-on-one time with his child.  

On Monday, J will begin his rotation at the VA Hospital.  He has to report at 7 a.m. each morning for his first patient at 7:15.  He does not get a lunch break.  And he cannot leave the hospital until every other extern is finished with their patients.  All for one and one for all, or something like that.  They are going to be long days, for both of us.  And then next Spring he will finish out his extern year with a rotation back at the optometry school clinic.  Word on the street is that hours at the school are actually the worst.  

So basically, our family is mourning the end of an era.  We realize that what we are about to experience is what most families experience from day one (and some of you medical resident wives are probably scoffing at how much you would kill for even our new schedule!), but this is a change for us.  Jonathan is sad to know that he will never get the kind of time he has enjoyed with Riggins with any of our future children.  I am nervous to embark on longer days alone, just as my little toddler really starts to exert his independence and wild side.  But mostly, we are sad to lose so much quality time as a family, our mid-week trips to the zoo, our mid-day errands, trips to the park and walks around the neighborhood, kitchen dance parties and lunches together.  It has been a sweet season of life and I will always hold my memories of this time close to my heart.   

And then, before we know it, he'll be graduating.  And we'll be moving.  So I guess we're just sad knowing that this fall kicks off one last year in Memphis, a city that we have grown to dearly love.  I am sad knowing that so much change and transition is on the horizon.  I am not ready to say goodbye to friends, our home, our church, our neighborhood.  I am not ready to start over again.  

But none of that is happening tomorrow, so the mission is to savor this year.  To be fully present with my little boy each day, even when the hours drag on.  To fully enjoy this great city.  To soak up time with our dear friends and church family.  To thank God for his provision here, and to trust him for his provision as we move forward.  


10 comments:

Haley Nicodemus said...

Praying that you enjoy this new season to it's fullest and for patience and strength when you have just had it. :). Great post!

Kaitlin said...

Ok, well this post just made me a little teary-eyed and I don't even have a husband in med school! But, I remember right before I took my new job, I had that sinking feeling that everything was about to change: that my time with L was going to be less...and that most likely for future babies, I wouldn't be home for a whole year with them (I guess I empathize with your husband here). Change is never easy (good or bad), but attitude is everything and you will do great! Cherish the sweet time you've had & enjoy your last year in Memphis!

Erin said...

A little teary eyed over here! What a sweet season you guys have shared as a family, and I completely understand how you feel as you transition to something new. We have those feelings, too. Having a hubby in school in adulthood is a weird thing: half of the time, I love the flexible hours, etc, and then the other half, I loathe the constant change and strange schedule. We are learning, just like you guys, to roll with it, enjoy each season, and never take that extra time for granted! Praying for you as you guys move out of one season into another.

Sweet Simplicity said...

I feel ya, sista! p.s. If I hear one more person tell me it will all be worth it, I'm going to cry or hit them or something. I know it will be worth it, but I just want someone to sympathize with me now. haha.

Whitney said...

Oh girl. Oh girl. I can relate. It's so nice reading about other wives out there going through the same things. You're doing an AWESOME job supporting him through this. Thanks for sharing. XO

mgoff said...

I think the wait before the transition is always the worst. The anticipation of it all. I have found that things really aren't as bad as 'they say'! If I can encourage you it would be that the next phase is also for a season and it too shall pass. For me I have to look at things one month at a time, otherwise I get totally overwhelmed. There are definitely hard weeks but you will still have time for those special family moments!

Meredith said...

I can't believe you only have one more year. Didn't you guys JUST move to Memphis?? I'm sorry things are about to change, I know how much you've enjoyed having him around more. Love you, love J, love Riggs, and selfishly love the fact that in one year I will be able to drive to your house whenever I please. Enjoy the next few days!

emily said...

Great post!! I love you all so much, and even though I'm not a "Memphis" friend, so to speak, I am so sad to think we'll never live this close again in our lives. I will miss you guys so much, even though it's still a year away! We seriously need to make the most of the next months! Please let me know if you ever need a break, a girls night, or whatever, and I'm there! I'm happy to watch your sweet little one when you guys need a night out! I treasure your friendship more than you'll ever know!

Kirsten said...

Hi--I just started reading your blog and wanted to say that I hope you have a wonderful upcoming year! Transitions are fun and scary and exciting and sad all in one. Blessings to you and your family!

Kiersten said...

Change is always hard! I hope this is a smooth transition for you, J, and Riggins, and hopefully your next season of life will bring lots of blessings with it!