Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Sixteen Months
August 29, 2011
Dear Riggins,
Apparently a mark of 16 month olds is maturity and seriousness, because you had no plans to smile for this photo! We were on our way to church, so perhaps you were entering a contemplative, worshipful state before spending time in the nursery? Whatever it is, I will say that this photo is not representative of my spunky, funny, sweet, and noisy 16-month old!
You are so much FUN these days! Busy and curious, you spend most of your days on the go, moving from room to room in the house, climbing the furniture, following Weber, and jabbering all the while. I am really enjoying the independence that has come with your increased mobility and stability. Now, when we leave the house, I can say, "Come on, Riggs, let's go!" and you toddle out the door with me, hold my hand as we descend the front steps, and then walk across the front yard to the car. You sometimes resist coming when called, but you have gotten very good at responding when I yell "STOP!" as you head for the street.
In spite of your busy-body spirit, you continue to become even more affectionate. You periodically stop your rushing around, push on my leg to turn me toward you, and then reach both arms up until I scoop you up. If I'm sitting on the couch, you climb up and snuggle for a few minutes before shimmying back down to resume your business. You love to read, and will snuggle up for a good while on the couch or on the floor of your room. You learned how to turn around and sit in my lap this month, which you love to do after handing me a book. But you especially love it when I climb into your crib with you to snuggle and read! (I might love it more!)
Your communication skills continue to increase. You say mama, dada, book (boo), boat (bo), and uh oh. You sign all done, milk, more, eat, and please. From the second we get you out of your crib each morning, you are signing "milk!" I have been most amazed by your increased understanding; you respond correctly when asked to go get something or to do something, and you can point to a few body parts. And of course, you still love to squeal and scream!
This month we flew to Maine for my cousin's wedding. While there, you visited the beach for the first time, took your first boat ride, and met an entirely new side of the family. It was a greta trip, and we made so many sweet memories together. In spite of the changing time zones and travel craziness, your routine has stayed the same this month. Still sleeping 7-7 with two naps each day.
Your favorite things include airplanes, Weber, the zoo and playground, walks in the stroller or wagon, playing in the front yard and walking down the sidewalk, fruit of all kinds, Ritz crackers, mac and cheese, watching Daddy leave for work and greeting him when he comes home, wrestling and tickling with Daddy, stacking blocks and whacking them over, music, and Praise Baby.
Speaking of music, our favorite development this month has been your killer dance moves! You have really gotten into music these days, and if you hear anything you immediately start bee-bopping. You will even go over to the CD player in your room and sign "more" for me to turn it on. Last week we turned the Ipod on and you started your usual move: wide stance, bent knees, bouncing. Then, you popped up one toe, hunched over, started shaking your head, and then periodically bent over to slap the floor as you bounced. We were pretty much rolling on the floor with laughter. I'm not sure where you learned your moves, buddy, but you're going to rock the dance floor some day!
Just in case you haven't noticed, we think you're pretty amazing, and we love you to pieces. Thanks for bringing so much joy to our lives.
Love,
Momma
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Love the update on all your little man is up to. Can you believe they're 16 months old? I mean how is that possible. It seems like everyday there's something new. So much fun!
You must capture this dance move (although your description is great)--I need to see it! He is one handsome boy!
He looks so much older all of a sudden! I love his blonde hair. :)
I am laughing out loud just imagining this dance move! Definitely get that on video!
I can totally picture the dance move, but hope to see it in person someday soon! Maybe at Jazzercise! I love that little man and his goofy grin!
Post a Comment