This is a bit of an awkward topic for a blog post, but I do recall that a few weeks ago I talked about breastfeeding and used the word nipple, so I think I've already gotten that ball rolling. :) Once again, this is just my personal story of a personal issue, but hopefully some will find it encouraging!
So...let's talk about baby weight.
I hesitate to talk about this, because since my story has a happy ending I don't want to sound like I'm tooting my own horn or something. I think a lot of women have unrealistic expectations about how quickly they will lose baby weight or get back into shape, and since my journey was definitely a journey over time, I wanted to share my story. My story that does not involve a c-section/tummy tuck combo a'la Hollywood. ;)
I gained about 38 pounds when I was pregnant with Riggins. (But I was super swollen at that last weigh-in so I like to think it was more like 35! ;) Before I got pregnant, I had not been working out at all. Sure, I was active. Jonathan and I took lots of walks around our neighborhood and I walked all over campus for my job, but I wasn't actually exercising. That was definitely a disadvantage because once you get pregnant you are advised against starting any kind of new, intense exercise routine. So I kept taking lots of long walks throughout my pregnancy, but that was about it. (TIP: If you are thinking about starting a family soon, get in a good workout groove so that you can continue it throughout your pregnancy!)
After Riggins was born, one of my biggest surprises was the awkwardness of my post-baby body, and the challenges of dressing it. My maternity clothes were too big, my pre-baby clothes were too small, and things were just different. My chest was bigger, my hips were fuller, my arms were softer. Add in the challenges of finding nursing-friendly clothes with easy access, and every wardrobe change had me near tears. I soon realized that I would need to invest in some inexpensive clothing to get me through the awkward period, and Old Navy pulled through with a small rotation of tops and dresses. (TIP: Set aside a bit of cash to shop after the baby is born. Having a few items that you feel cute in can do wonders for your mood after having a baby.)
Even after my six-week check-up, I didn't do very much to loose the baby weight. I maintained a healthy diet and took frequent long walks, and little by little I slowly began to slim down. Still, things weren't as they used to be, and I began to get comfortable with the idea of a different post-baby body. Around September, I finally gave in and bought some new jeans in a bigger size.
Then, at six months post-baby, something just clicked in my metabolism and those last few pounds came off. I was back to my pre-baby weight. But the pre-baby body was a different story. That's when I realized that pre-baby weight (a number) and pre-baby body (a shape) are two totally different things. Everything was a bit softer, some things were a bit bigger, my hips were wider. But I was thankful to be where I was, and to have gotten out there without any major amounts of sweat and with a normal, healthy diet.
In January, a Groupon was issued in the Memphis area for Jazzercise classes. After hearing about Jazzercise from some fellow bloggers, I looked up the locations and found that one meets in my neighborhood. My friend Emily and I bought the Groupon, fully expecting to join a bunch of senior citizens in leotards and legwarmers dancing to The BeeGees.
Much to our surprise, it turned out to be an awesome workout. Our instructor is in incredible shape and is a great motivator. I've realized that group classes are the best fit for my personality; I guess I have enough of an ego that I need other people around me to keep me from wimping out! While the instructor gives a full range of intensity options for each move, I committed early on to doing everything that she said would make a move harder or more effective. If Jodi says to squat lower, jump higher, or squeeze tighter, I do it! I even progressed from 5 lb. to 8 lb. free weights after she challenged me to do it, and I am able to do push-ups for the first time in my life! The best part is that Jazzercise is FUN! The first 40 minutes are dance-based aerobics that really get you sweating, and the last 20 minutes are toning exercises involving free weights and mats. The music selections always get me smiling and are a great release for this former dancer!
Within a month of attending class 3-4 times a week, I was seeing obvious results. After our Groupons ran out, Emily and I both got official memberships. Despite our tight budget, Jonathan and I both saw that the physical and emotional results of my attendance were worth the monthly fee. Even after Jonathan's schedule change and kept him from watching Riggins during class, Jodi allowed me to bring Riggins in his Jumparoo. He has a blast jumping to the music, and all the ladies just love him!
Now, after over 7 months of Jazzercising, and 15 months post-baby, I weigh 5 pounds less than I did when I got pregnant. Most importantly, I feel toned, strong, and in the best shape of my life (although some things are still different, of course!). My husband, friends, and family members have noticed the difference, and I love that they aren't saying "You look skinny!" like they did when I lost too much weight before my wedding, but "You're in great shape!" or "Look at those muscles!" I even got a random compliment from someone at Wal-Mart the other day!
The moral of this story? In a nutshell...
Give yourself grace when it comes to getting back in shape after baby. It took 9 months to put it on, and it's going to take some time to get it off (I don't care how fast Heidi Klum lost it!). Know that while you might lose the weight, some things will just be different, but it's all worth it. Getting into shape will probably require an investment of time (for you and your spouse), energy, and maybe even a little money. Find something that gets you excited enough to stick with it! Find a buddy to keep you accountable! And when you feel ready, don't be afraid to push yourself to new fitness levels.
So that's my story. What's your perspective on the baby weight journey?
So that's my story. What's your perspective on the baby weight journey?
12 comments:
your honesty is appreciated! i have thought about this topic many times, but i've made sure that i don't obsess over it. i figure a baby is probably worth it in the end. :) anyway, thanks for the tips ... i've filed them away!
I am so nervous about gaining too much weight with this baby. I was in the process of trying to loose some when I got pregnant and I know now is NOT the time to try and loose weight. I haven't been to the gym in two months since I got so sick, but I think I am ready to go back.
With Cub I lost the weight too quickly, with postpartum anxiety. At my six week check-up, I was ten pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight, and the weight continued to come off for two months until I finally started eating regularly again (the anxiety didn't lessen my appetite, it eliminated it completely ... a huge sign something was wrong, since, well, I love food!). I was weak physically, emotionally, and mentally until the hormones wore off and I regained my wits around four months (I know now how to ask for help if this happens again). Then I gained ten pounds and stayed healthy. With Naomi, I felt great and thusly the weight came off more slowly (I would totally choose a healthy mind over a slim waist). I'm like you--at around six months, something just clicked and the rest of the pounds (and a few more) came off. It took work, and that work paid off. Now that I am unexpectedly pregnant with our third, I have very little expectations for myself in the weight department! I'm more concerned about having symptoms with this baby like I did with Caleb, because this pregnancy was something I never expected, so I'm just going easy on myself. Frankly, weight is the last thing on my mind. If I can make it through the first six months of having three kids, then I'll let myself worry about my waist. But, again, it's more important for me to have a sound mind and I'm praying for that above anything else!
Great post! I loved your story.
With my first baby, we had a lot of stressful issues going on... and I gained between 65-70lbs. Nursing helped a lot, but I was in such a funk that I never moved off the couch.
Finally, about a year post delivery, I finished losing the rest of the weight plus 5lbs. Then... BOOM... Got pregnant again {of course, right?}!
But since I was already in an intense workout regimen, I was encouraged to continue it. Every night, I'm on the elliptical. I know it's better for me, the baby, and my mood/feelings after the baby is born.
I loved this post!!
Great post, Leslie, and way to go! I love an honest refreshing read about a REAL woman's baby weight loss story...did you see this: http://moms.today.com/_news/2011/07/28/7184564-is-skinny-while-pregnant-a-dangerous-trend. Made me sick, yet it is SO true. Women are obsessed with being thin and not gaining too much weight while pregnant and then expect to drop the lbs the instant the baby is born. I know some girls have all the luck and waltz out of the hospital in their regular jeans (a few girls I know did this- geez!), but for most, it takes some patience and finding something you love to help lose it. Running and training for races did me a world of good and although I don't have my honeymoon beach body today, I'm lighter than I was before baby and I'm stronger (Good thing b/c hoisting a 25-pounder every day takes some muscle!) Fit moms = healthy moms :)
Great post! I appreciate the real-life perspective (and inspiration!) I quit my gym membership last winter because I thought we were moving, but now that we're staying put for a while, I definitely plan to rejoin once baby arrives. In the meantime, I'm just trying to keep up with my walks, light weights, and maybe a little swimming.
I gained about 40 pounds in each of my pregnancies. By the time Noah was about 9 months old, I had lost 60. Why? Because that boy ate ALL.THE.TIME. No, really. He did. I was skinnier than I had ever been and hated just about every minute of it, because it was all anyone ever commented on. I was skinny but I wasn't healthy by any stretch of the imagination.
After Sam was born, the weight took longer to come off and I never got as crazy skinny as I did with Noah. I was probably back to my normal weight or somewhere in that vicinity.
This time around I'm focusing on being healthy and not necessarily trying to lose weight. It's coming off gradually and I'm learning to fit in exercise when I can and just trying to cut back on that good old emotional eating.
A journey, indeed.
I am proud of you woman! And I want your arms so perhaps Jazzercise is in my future? Ha--I would be the first to get kicked out for lack of coordination and talent! :)
Oh, the good ol' baby weight...gotta love it. ;)
After having such a rough delivery and recovery, I wasn't allowed to do much of ANYthing for about 5 months (poor, poor Russell...). ;) During that time, I think I went through a bit of the blues. They weren't baby related blues; more like, "When will I ever not be in pain, and/or be able to do simple things like WALK!?!?" kinds of blues. Anyway, I think I drowned my sorrows in Puppy Chow and held on to some of that baby weight that didn't get dropped through nursing.
Enter ZUMBA! After being cleared at 5 months post-delivery, the combo of once weekly Zumba classes and 2-3 mile walks pushing the stroller a couple times a week (and a weight-loss challenge in my Zumba class) helped me drop all the weight. The very week I made it back to my pre-preggo weight, I got pregnant again--ha!!! Talk about irony. ;)
This time around, I have kept up with Zumba and walking, so I haven't gained near as much weight as last time. Plus, I can't really just sprawl on the couch all day and eat chocolate like I did last time--my energetic little lady would have none of that! ;) Hoping for a WAY quicker recovery this time so I can whip this bod back into shape just a tad sooner...
...aaaaand maybe I should lay off the Puppy Chow if things don't go my way. ;) Just maybe...!
Oh, how I love Jazzercise!! (And miss it!) Great job getting back into shape, girl! Now here's a tip...you know the grace you gave yourself after baby #1? Double that amount of grace after baby #2 - it will make life so much easier! :) I'm at my pre-Jude weight, but my body is soooo far from looking like it did back then. I know the day will come when I can go back to the gym, though, so I'm truly enjoying my babies...and the tummy that came with them...for the time being!
Love that you're my workout buddy & you hold me accountable! And you really do look great!!! And Meredith, you would totally not be kicked out of this class we're in! There are some very uncoordinated people in there!
Great post! My husband and I are about to start trying to get pregnant and I wrote a post today about getting in great shape beforehand. Love your tips too!
www.lovelyshesays.blogspot.com
Post a Comment