I'd hate to toot my own horn and assume that some of you missed me during my temporary absence from the world wide Internets. But since some of you were so kind as to contact me via Facebook and actually tell me that you did, in fact, miss me, then I suppose I'll toot away.
Have no fear, Blog World! I am back in business. ;)
On Sunday evening, a few faithful readers notified me that my blog had been deactivated. Sure enough, I quickly discovered that my entire Google account had been wiped out. Their deactivation message mentioned that this occurs when someone has been reported for violating the Terms of Use, which includes fun things like plagiarism and pornography and such. Things I dabble in often on this blog...
Or not.
I was so baffled, but more than anything I was panicked. I have not saved one blooming thing from this blog in the past four years of writing. Not one crazy work story. Not one pregnancy post. Not one letter to Riggins. Nothing. I have used this site as a baby book of sorts, fully intending to have all of my Riggs-related posts printed into a book when he turns 2. I just assumed that Blogger would be a safe repository for all of these precious tidbits of information that I don't want to forget. And suddenly, I thought they were gone forever.
Luckily, many of you were so kind as to let me know that my blog was still viewable on Google reader, so I knew that at least my letters to Riggins could be salvaged if need be. But still, it was a wake up call. The Internet, and our computers in general, cannot be fully trusted to keep our photographic, video, and written memories safe without several forms of backup. (Heck, even then, my house could burn down with my laptop and external hard drive in it!)
I filled out Google's complaint form for deactivation of an account without cause, and finally got a response this morning. They sent it to Jonathan's email account, which I had given since my entire Google account was shut down, including my email.
He told me that my email had been hacked by terrorists who published anti-American content and that my blog had been reported to Google by the Department of Homeland Security.
Unbelievable, right? I had no idea how Al Qaeda managed to decipher my very secure password, and why they'd choose lil' ole' Walking in Memphis to do their bidding.
Do you believe that!?!
I hope so, because I bought it hook, line, and sinker.
My husband is a stinker, and after 11 years I still believe his lies. I am such a fool. But he's so cute and charming and irresistible!
In actuality, Google sent a very benign email with no explanation, letting me know that my account had been reactivated. Sure enough, my email inbox was full once again and my blog was back on the web as though nothing had ever happened.
Even though this story has a happy ending, it gave me a new motivation to take greater steps toward the security of my prized memories. I am going to start composing blog posts in Word and then copying them to Blogger, that way they are reinforced every time we save material to our external hard drive. I also need to update that external hard drive more frequently for all of the other videos and photos we save to our computer. And my next project is to work on a couple of blog books, one of all my posts before Riggins, and another of my pregnancy with him, his letters, and posts related to my motherhood journey so far.
I was blown away by how many of you were willing to copy and paste every last post of mine, and to those of you who came out of the woodwork to let me know that you love this blog and missed it. It sure warmed my heart to know that my ramblings mean something to some of you! I really think I would keep writing even if no one ever read this blog again, but it sure makes it more fun to know that you connect to these thoughts I'm putting out there.
So...thanks...and feel free to leave comments with any other suggestions you have for securing your information and memories when using technology (saving photos, blog posts, videos, etc.)! I'd love to know your tricks!
7 comments:
Yay! What a relief! In my state of panic after hearing your news, I started the turn the blog into a book process and for one year (June 2008-June 2009) the cost was $189 not including tax or shipping. WHAT?! Let me know if you find one cheaper! That was the quote from cutest blog on the block.
Oh, and welcome back!
Gullible is written on the ceiling. What, where, where? Oh. That's me, gullible. That joke had me laughing out loud! Glad all is well. Welcome back!
i'm so glad that got resolved.
and yes, i too fell for the terrorist joke. i was about to yell out to the husband when i kept reading...
Yay, she's back!!
I was able to re-tell the terrorist story to Brett with a straight face and he totally believed it too. Thanks for a great laugh Jonathan! ...and as far as backing up info, we use SugarSync to protect our entire computer.
Welcome back!
YAY for a boy! Exciting! Will be praying for him and for you! As for keeping all your blog posts, I made mine into a Blurb book - it uploads blogger content automatically as well as all your pics...so nice! Then you can add/take away what you want. I did this and made a whole year's book...up to 400 pages! It was great. I posted about it here: http://creativelypurposed.blogspot.com/2011/04/year-in-pictures.html
Glad to hear all is well...love you!
Post a Comment