Dear Rhett,
That’s right, sweet boy! You have a name! Although Rhett was the front-runner from the very beginning of this pregnancy, it took us a few months to feel like we had considered all of our options. After a few weeks of “test driving” your name, we are feeling confident that you are our Rhett.
I wish I could say there was a brilliant story or meaningful connection behind your first name, but there isn’t. We just really love that it is strong and unique, and I do think it fitting that our second Memphis baby will have a solid Southern name. It means “counsel or advice,” and I hope that you will grow to respect the wise counsel of others, and become a wise counselor yourself.
Your middle name was the name of my great-grandfather, Matthew Horn. He and his family immigrated to the US from Scotland. Although he was only educated through the 8th grade and spent his life working in the coalmines of Iowa, he was a strong advocate for the education of his four children and later served as the superintendent of schools. Aside from his incredible work ethic and desire to better his life and the lives of his children, he loved the Lord and left a long legacy of faith in our family. I pray that you will grow to embody these characteristics.
Your middle name was the name of my great-grandfather, Matthew Horn. He and his family immigrated to the US from Scotland. Although he was only educated through the 8th grade and spent his life working in the coalmines of Iowa, he was a strong advocate for the education of his four children and later served as the superintendent of schools. Aside from his incredible work ethic and desire to better his life and the lives of his children, he loved the Lord and left a long legacy of faith in our family. I pray that you will grow to embody these characteristics.
I have officially reached the third trimester of my pregnancy with you, 27 weeks, and you have sure been easy on me! I have felt great throughout my second trimester. Continued exercise and keeping up with your big brother have kept my energy up, and my only complaint is some bad sciatic nerve pain that started in the last few weeks. As for cravings and quirks, I have been drinking huge glasses of milk and putting away lots of grapefruit and cheese! I've also had a bit more of a sweet tooth than usual. I can also cry at the drop of a hat over anything and everything.
Your movements have gotten stronger and more distinct, and you are particularly active first thing in the morning and in the evenings. I love the distinct feeling of your foot pressing into my side. My latest ultrasound confirmed that you are growing right on track. I even got to see your cute little yawn! Unfortunately, the fluid on your kidneys has increased slightly, so we are continuing to pray that the issue is resolved before your birth. Until then, I will continue to have regular ultrasounds at my appointments. My doctor is not worried, just proactive, so I'm thankful for more sneak previews your sweet face! The scan did show that I am no longer at risk of placenta previa, so that is an answered prayer!
We are all so excited to meet you, Rhett. Riggins loves to kiss my belly and say, "Hi Baby," and he can even say your name! I think "Riggs and Rhett" sound like little partners in crime, and I can't wait for you two to start having fun together. There are times when your brother is running around the house and I think, "Oh man...soon there will be two of them!" I get a mental picture of Thing One and Thing Two from The Cat in the Hat and I wonder what I've gotten myself into with two little boys! I will definitely be outnumbered, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
You are entering our lives during a somewhat crazy season. About two months after your birth, your daddy will graduate from optometry school and we will move to Oklahoma. In the last couple of weeks, the reality of the chaos that these transitions will bring has hit me, and I have felt a bit anxious about the timing of everything. I also feel guilty that the first couple months of your life will be a bit unstable, and not the calm little cocoon to which we brought your brother home.
Yesterday in church, we sang a song based on Isaiah 43, which says Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. The chorus of the song simply repeats "Do not fear," over and over again. The sweet promises of God overwhelmed me, and as the congregation sang I could not hold back my tears. For the child of God, there is never reason to fear. I can anticipate your arrival with nothing but joy, knowing that your life was perfectly timed by the ultimate Creator and Planner of all. He will provide. He will sustain. No matter what. I can't wait to share the sweet assurance of Jesus with you, Rhett, because I don't know how I would live without it!
We love you so much already, buddy, and can't wait for you to officially join our family this spring!
Love,
Mama


10 comments:
I love his name, Leslie. I was going to message you how you were feeling. You look wonderful. :)
Perfect name. Love it. I know you must be overwhelmed with the many changes all happening at the same time in the spring, but you are so wise to trust in God's timing and plan. He has it under control...but I know it is hard for us planner-types to let it go. Praying for you guys and for Mr. Rhett's little kidneys.
Such a sweet name, Leslie! And, you look amazing!
I love the name...you look fabulous!!
LOVE LOVE LOVE the name Rhett...LOVE IT. And Matthew is perfect with it. I always liked that name, but my last name is weird and it wouldn't sound good.
Leslie, we had Noah and Sam graduated the next day. Then eight days after that we moved to Knoxville. It's sounds scary than it actually was! You and Jonathan are amazing parents. You'll be just fine! :)
Such a great name and you look fabulous! I know it'll be a busy few months but they'll be so wonderful! Can't wait to meet the little guy!
I love the name! It is perfect. You look incredible!
What a great name! And exciting news about your move to Oklahoma! It may be a busy, hectic few months, but everything will work out for the best.
I LOVE his name! You look beautiful--good luck through the end & with all of the changes ahead. What an exciting year!
Post a Comment