A similar evening transpired at about the same point in my pregnancy with Riggins. That night, however, happened to be the eve of the bridal shower I was hosting for a friend. Rather than tuning out with pineapple and the internet, I proceeded to make a few dozen chocolate-covered strawberries at 1 a.m. As I stood there in my bathrobe, scraping the last bits of melted chocolate from the bowl with a banana, it crossed my mind that if Jonathan were to walk into the kitchen at that moment, I would probably never hear the end of it. I was quite the stereotype.
Always the type to fall asleep within five minutes of my head hitting the pillow, I don't have much tolerance for a bout of insomnia. Lying in bed awake with my mind spinning is enough to make me feel pretty nutty. Every noise gets amplified, every position of my body feels not-quite-right, any dryness in my throat feels like the Sahara, and any obstruction in my nose feels like I can't breathe. The dog feels too close to my legs, the room too hot or too cold, and next thing you know I am throwing off the covers in a huff and hoping that a snack and some mindless activity will bring Mr. Sandman. Oh, and did I mention that every few seconds my entire abdomen is stretched horizontally as a little man pushes his hiney out in one direction while pressing his feet in the other? Which I absolutely adore, of course, but when you're trying to fall asleep it can be a bit counterproductive to feel as though your belly is home to a rabid mongoose trying to escape.
When you're becoming a mother for the first time, your mind chases around all the unknowns. But when you're going in for another round, you know, which is worse in some ways. I know that I am about to be sleep deprived again for the next six months or so. I know that I am about to have a little creature attached to my body for nourishment for 40 minutes at a time every 2-3 hours around the clock. I know I am going to be spending large amounts of time bouncing a crying baby, wondering what on earth I can do to make him happy and sleepy. I know that my body is about to reenter that No Man's Land between pregnancy, postpartum, and normal. I know that my hormones are about to make me a weepy, irrational mess. I know that I am going to have to handle all of this while still being an attentive, loving mother to a toddler who won't understand why his world is being turned upside down. And that weeks later I will have to move to another state, to another home, to a new chapter of life.
I know. And I guess that's what is keeping me up tonight.
I also know that it gets better. I know that the one consistent thing about parenting is that everything will pass. I know that God has ordained the birth of this child and our move to Oklahoma and that the timing and the details are not surprises to Him. I know that His grace is sufficient for my every weakness, sleep deprivation, hormonal crazies, clingy toddlers, and crying babies alike.
I know. And so back to bed I go...
8 comments:
Oh goodness, Leslie! I hope you found a way to doze. And for the record, yes, it is 4:00 and I'm on my first bowl of cereal catching up on blogs.
Hang in there, Leslie. How much longer do you have to go? I would wear myself out with cleaning in order to fall asleep, but I'm sure you've done all of that already.
How is Riggins responding to your pregnancy. Does he "get" that he has a brother coming along? My son didn't get it until we brought Olive home.
Cheers to the last few weeks!
I've also had a few nights of insomnia with the shear panic of all the changes the next few months will bring- we're also moving shortly after baby is born. However, I'll be sending extra prayers your way as we don't have a toddler in the mix as well and I have no doubt that will make things extra... interesting. Hope you got some sleep:)
Oh friend, you do have a lot on your mind with good reason! I'm sorry it all kind of crashed in on you at once. This might be of little comfort, but if ANYONE can handle all of this, it is you. And by 'handle', I also mean letting yourself have a few good cries and a few pints of ice-cream. ;) You can do this! You are MARTHA, after all! Just chant that to yourself...I am Martha, I am Martha. ;)
Did this say you're moving to Oklahoma?!! whereabouts?
And soon, on those nights, you can say, "I know that in the morning I can call Keely and she'll meet me for coffee." And that will help, too. :)
Leslie! I just found your blog. Can't wait to dive in. Too bad I discovered it only today...otherwise, I could have spent a nice chunk of those middle of the night, won't go back to sleep, bouncing baby attached to breast hours entertained by your wit and candor. :)
-Katie
wow - I just love reading your blog! I'm a little over a month ahead of you (baby Kate is just 2 days over 1 month old!), but I remember those sleepless nights only so well! I can assure you that it is easier than you remember - having a newborn around - but still challenging b/c of these sweet toddler boys we have! Praying you get some solid rest before numero dos arrives!
Post a Comment