Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Home Stretch

Well, folks, I am 36 weeks pregnant and entering the home stretch.  Let the countdown begin!  It is hard to believe that within the next few weeks we will be welcoming little Rhett Matthew into the world.  Honestly, Jonathan and I both feel a bit in denial that all of this is happening!  When you are expecting your first child, there are so many rites of passage during pregnancy that repeatedly remind you that a baby is coming.  You register for gifts, attend your showers, prepare the nursery, take classes and read books, and spend way too much time perusing the internet for information about baby gear, childbirth, and caring for a baby.      


This time, the excitement is still there, but since we are expecting another boy and we are moving about two months after his birth, there just isn't much to do to prepare.  All of the tangible tasks that reinforced reality the first time around have been replaced with the routine of caring for a toddler and finishing optometry school, both of which seem to make the weeks fly by.  In many ways, it is a relief to just enjoy pregnancy without the endless to-do list.  Sure, I've been purging and organizing our home to make our move easier, and I'll be washing baby clothes and bottles in the next week or so, but other than that I just spend a lot of time watching my belly move and thinking about what this little fella is going to add to our family.  It is a sweet time of expectation, and I think it's ok for me to stay in a bit of denial about all of the action that is going to ensue just weeks after his birth.  I'm going to keep this family's little cocoon intact as long as I possibly can!  


Each night, Riggins wants to "see baby" by lifting up my shirt.  He spends some time poking my belly button, patting my belly, hugging and kissing my belly, and saying "Rhett."  He has an "I'm the Big Brother" book that he requests often, and he is quick to point out babies, but despite the sweetness of it all, I really don't think he has any idea what is about to happen!  He is going to be a sweet big brother, but I am also preparing myself for some extra sensitivity and challenge in the weeks and months to come.  


On the actual pregnancy front, I am starting to feel a bit large and in charge!  I am still working out a few times a week, but I am definitely doing everything low impact and resembling the fat kid at a sports camp.  My Jazzercise buddies are my biggest cheerleaders, and we all get a good laugh when our routines have me dancing to songs like "My Girl's Got a Big 'Ole Bootie" and "I'm Sexy and I Know It!"  Other than my size, the only other hindrance to staying active has been my darned sciatic nerve.  I got a few weeks of relief from that pain, but it has crept back up in the last week.  I can also feel that Rhett is really dropping low, and there are times when I'm active that I feel like he might fall right out!  He has his little feet permanently wedged just below my ribcage on the right side.    


I definitely still have a big appetite and a very pronounced sweet tooth.  Frequent cravings include baked goods of any kind (seriously, my first thought every morning is of donuts), fruit of any kind, sushi, big loaded salads, Edy's Whole Fruit popsicles, big glasses of milk (chugged, never sipped!), and string cheese.  


Another interesting factor in this pregnancy has been some crazy hormone-induced emotions!  I experienced a lot of that after Riggins was born, but not as much before.  This time around, my emotions have been ridiculous, especially in the last few weeks!  Between our upcoming move, Jonathan's graduation and transition into a whole new chapter of life, mommy guilt for Riggins, and some frustrations with our future plans, I have been a bit of a basket case at times.  The whole experience has been an exercise in drawing nearer to the Lord and to my community of friends.  


And now, we wait.  My doctor's appointment last week showed Rhett to be head down and an estimated 6 lb. 4 oz.  I have continued to have ultrasounds at each appointment to monitor that fluid on his kidneys, and it remains stable.  I was also showing the beginnings of progress towards labor.  Until then, we are contentedly enjoying these last weeks of sleeping through the night (yes, I still sleep all night long and I do not take that for granted!), nesting, and soaking up our "only" child.  

8 comments:

Whitney said...

I love all of the pictures of you and Riggs! What a sweetheart! You look fabulous, as usual!

Sarah said...

So excited for you! Love the maternity pictures!

Erin said...

As I read this post, I felt like I was revisiting my own thoughts/fears/anxieties that I had about, oh, six months ago. ;) Totally understand the words about having a more peaceful and/or less-intense pregnancy experience with baby #2, but it really does just ZOOM by without all those showers, etc.! Your newest little man will make your family feel whole, and you'll wonder where he was all this time. You are beautiful, friend!

Kiersten said...

Your photos are gorgeous and you look fantastic! Enjoy these last few weeks... He'll be here before you know it!

Holly said...

You are gorgeous! I love the name Rhett Matthew. Him and Riggins are going to be the cutest brothers and best friends.

Happy Monday, friend!

Sweet Simplicity said...

I love all of the photos! You are gorgeous and the ones of you and Riggins are adorable!

Katie said...

I've missed your updates and I'm so glad you're doing well! I very much empathize with how quickly each subsequent pregnancy flies by after the first. It sounds like you have a healthy perspective with it all, acknowledging the potential intimidation of several life changes happening at once (and surrendering your apprehension to God--such a challenging exercise sometimes!), while simultaneously relishing these last few weeks before the baby comes. You're doing great. And you look wonderful.

Angela said...

I forgot how close our wee ones will be! I hope you are really able to treasure these last few weeks despite all the impending changes about to happen. You look fantastic!