Friday, March 9, 2012

Our Little Girl

I am about to be overcome by testosterone in a matter of weeks.  Lucky for me, there is still one other lady in the house.  With all the excitement of preparing for a new baby, I realized it had been awhile since ole Weber Sue received some attention on the blog!  I guess the Mommy Guilt that accompanies the arrival of another child is not limited to biological children but extends to furbabies as well.  


Weber is loving life these days.  Spring has sprung early in Memphis, along with the rest of the country, so that has meant a lot of time in the backyard.  I spend a lot of my time sitting in a lawn chair watching Riggins and Weber run laps around the yard.  But most of all, I spend my time blowing bubbles.  Like any little kid, Riggins loves blowing bubbles.  But the reality is that we are blowing bubbles for Weber.  To say that she loves chasing bubbles would be the understatement of the century.  I once blew bubbles for an entire hour straight and she never stopped chasing them.  She will jump a good several feet off the ground to catch a particularly high flyer, all the while being cheered on by her little brother.  The following pictures were only captured because she was waiting patiently for me to resume the bubble blowing.  Riggs is her partner in crime.  All day long, he begs me for "Ow-side?  Bo bub-bols?  Puppy?"  I typically oblige, because it is quite therapeutic to rest your 9-month pregnant feet in a lawn chair while leisurely blowing bubbles into a nice spring breeze.  And since the end result is typically a long-napping dog and boy, then we all win!  



I may have mentioned before that Weber sleeps with us each night.  When I was newly pregnant with Riggins, I figured it was only a matter of time before she got the boot.  Miraculously, she never did.  And here I am again, at 36 weeks pregnant, still letting this 65 pound pointer sleep with me!  Honestly, she is such a good bed buddy that once we all get settled into our spots for the night I hardly remember she's there.  Sometimes she steals the covers, but if I give her a good shove she hops up and lets me get comfortable before settling into a new spot.  Luckily, she prefers to snuggle tighter to her main man, so that leaves me more space!    


Unfortunately, Jonathan is probably the only boy Weber will be snuggling with for awhile.  While she is wonderful with Riggins when it's play time, she really will not tolerate him snuggling up to her when she is resting.  She doesn't get aggressive with him, but she definitely gives him a firm growl and hops up to find a new spot.  It really makes me sad, because he wants to lay on her and rest his head on her back so badly, but she just won't have it!  If only she could have seen him spooning with our friends' cat recently...that could have helped her see the error of her ways!  Maybe she'll come around when he's a bit older.  Until then, he is practicing his big brother skills on her by bossing her around, telling her "no," and shoving her away when she tries to take his food.    

This little gal brings so much joy and humor to our lives, and we can hardly believe that she'll be four years old this April!  As Jonathan approaches graduation, we have joked that she deserves to attend.  She has spent many nights sleeping next to him as he studies, and has provided priceless stress relief through their long runs together.  She still has that puppy spunk about her, which is one positive aspect of this energetic breed.  Even though sometimes you'd like for your pointer to grow up and act like a calm, mature dog all the time, it's fun to enjoy the playful disposition that comes with a hunting dog!  Even if all she is hunting is bubbles...  

2 comments:

Sweet Simplicity said...

Aw, sweet girl! Thanks for your registry suggestions today!

A Nerd and A Free Spirit said...

I can't imagine not having dogs as part of my family. So therapeutic!

~Kathryn