Saturday, March 31, 2012

Sprinkled

I was recently spoiled rotten by a few friends who threw the most adorable shower to celebrate baby Rhett.  Since we are having another boy in the same month, we really didn't need much for this little guy.  Even still, these sweet girls recognized the need to throw a special party in his honor, and I am so thankful that they did!  Not only was I incredibly blessed by the generosity of my friends, it was also a precious time to have so many of my favorite Memphians together in one spot before we move.  

My friend Leah hosted in her beautiful home and had this special touch on the door!  


These are some of my dear friends from church.  We only joined our church a little over a year ago, and these ladies have become so special to me so quickly!  I have to keep myself from playing the "shoulda, woulda, coulda" game where I wish we had found Redeemer the very first weekend we were in Memphis, but I just wish I could have had more time with these amazing ladies!  They were so sweet to all pitch in on the one "big" item on my wish list for this little guy: an Ergo carrier.  Can't wait to try it out!  


These ladies are my fellow optometry school wives!  Natelie and Sabra also hosted the shower (and are both expecting their own little ones!).  Who knows what we would have done without each other over the last four years?  We have commiserated over husbands with crazy study schedules, demanding board exams, and uncertain post-graduation plans, but we have also had LOTS of fun together.  I don't think any of us can believe that we'll soon be the Mrs. in "Dr. and Mrs.!"  



I hadn't even told our moms about this little "sprinkle" because I didn't want them to feel like they needed to make the trip to Memphis when they are already coming for Rhett's birth and Jonathan's graduation.  A couple of weeks before the shower, I was feeling overwhelmed and told Jonathan that what I really needed was some time alone in my house without a toddler running around.  Wouldn't you know, the next day my mom called and said she was thinking about coming for a few days during her Spring Break, beginning on the day of the shower?  She read my mind!  So not only did I get to have her at the shower, but she then spoiled me rotten by taking Riggins to the zoo and playground for hours while I got to run kid-free errands and do some final preparations for Rhett around the house.  Such a blessing!  


I'm not sure there is anyone outside of our family that Riggins gets more excited to see than, "Emmy," my dear friend from Fort Smith.  I have been so lucky to have her in Memphis for the past four years as she has completed dental school and a pediatric dentistry residency (and it doesn't hurt to have a professional to answer all of my teething questions!).  Seriously, my child thinks she is a rockstar and asks for her constantly.  Which is also why she is first on the list of people to call when I go into labor!  


I was so fortunate to meet Lori, Jennifer, and Sherry through my MOPS group.  These ladies have been so influential in my first few years of motherhood, always full of wise words, reassurance that I am not ruining my child, and offers to help and serve.  Sherry is the MOPS mentor for our chapter, which means that she has older children; she has taught me so much about training my children up in the Lord and instilling a love of God's Word from a young age...such a gift!    


Sadly, the only shots I got of Leah and me are of opening gifts, and I didn't even get a shot with the rest of our BSF/Bunko group (Leslie and Mandi, I'm lookin' at you!).  I started Bible Study Fellowship the first year we moved to Memphis, but it wasn't until the next year that I got to know this fantastic group of girls.  When Riggins was born, I switched to the daytime BSF group and was so sad that I wouldn't see that crowd every week.  Luckily, they invited me to their monthly bunko group, and I got to know them even better (along with a whole new bunch of girls!) over the last two years.  Our monthly Bunko nights are so special to me, and I am hard core about defending those evenings on my calendar!  


Building a community takes time and intentionality.  It can be discouraging, awkward, and exhausting.  When you know that your time in a place is temporary, it can be even more tempting to hole up with your husband and the few friends who share your circumstances, just hanging in there until you can move on to start your "real" life.  But, gosh, do you miss out on some amazing relationships when you take that approach!  Sure, it makes leaving that much harder, but I'll take that heartache any day when compared to the joy and growth these amazing women have brought to my life!  I am so glad that I'll be able to introduce all of them to our little man before we leave!

Note to Self: Go back and read this final paragraph in a few months when you're in a house full of boxes with a toddler and an infant and you feel like you have no friends and don't know if it's even worth getting out of the house to make some!  :)

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Awww...it looks like you had a wonderful "sprinkle".

Holly said...

Leslie, you look gorgeous and you are just beaming!! I'm so happy that Baby Rhett had the party he deserves!! :)

keely said...

City Pres! City Pres! City Pres!
You know, if you're interested. :)

Erin said...

What a sweet party for you and your boy! It is a testament to YOU that you have such kind people in your life. Selfishly, I can't wait to have you back in MINE! :) Happy Sprinkle!

Sweet Simplicity said...

What a special celebration!

Auburn said...

I have no idea how your entire body hasn't swollen to high heaven here at the end. You are looking GORGEOUS and all belly. Amazing! :) ...wish I could have been at your Sprinkle!

Katie said...

You look amazing and your sprinkle looked so fun! Yay for friends and yay for maybe actually getting to hang out in person more in the future ..!