Tomorrow I turn THIRTY.
Wow.
The beginning of an entirely new decade. While I always anticipated being reluctant to hit this birthday, it really just feels like any other year! Maybe that's because my hubby turned thirty several years ago, or because my twenties have been so full that it just seems right that they are coming to a close. Either way, whether I like it or not, time keeps moving forward and I am another year--another decade--older.
Let's recap my twenties, why don't we? In my twenties I...
- Got engaged
- Graduated from OBU with a BA in Family Psychology, and with a certainty that I now had absolutely zero desire to be a marriage and family therapist...oops
- Got married
- Worked as a special education teacher
- Traveled Europe with my husband for two months straight
- Moved to Waco, Texas, and earned a master's degree in Higher Education Administration
- Discovered Bible Study Fellowship
- Experienced loss of dear family members and employment
- Worked as a hall director and adjunct instructor at my alma mater
- Traveled to Australia and New Zealand
- Got a dog
- Moved to Memphis
- Worked as the Greek Life and Community Service Advisor at the University of Memphis
- Traveled to Maine and Quebec and came home with a special souvenir
- Became a mother to Riggins Thomas
- Left my job to become a stay-at-home mom
- Became a mother (again!) to Rhett Matthew
- Watched Jonathan earn his Doctor of Pharmacy degree
- Moved to Oklahoma
That list seems so cut-and-dried, and yet with each bullet I could write volumes about how the experience brought change and maturity. The process was not always pretty, but I am a different woman than I was when I celebrated my twentieth birthday as a junior in college.
I sometimes cringe when I consider that girl. Marriage, employment, academic pursuits, relationships, motherhood, and the tender hand of my heavenly Father have continued to make me new. They have sanded away at my rough edges and brought slow but (hopefully) steady progress in the journey of becoming more like Christ. They have brought self-awareness and others-awareness that I lacked in my younger years.
And the exciting thing is that thirty is still young! Lord willing, I have several more decades for His refining work to continue in me. When I think of how different I am at 30 compared to 20, I am excited to see who I will be at 40. My prayer for this next decade is that God would keep me teachable and malleable, always growing and improving, while being ever mindful of my desperate dependence on him for all things.
9 comments:
love :)
You've accomplished quite a lot in your twenties! My favorite was your move to Memphis, of course :)
Welcome to the 30 club, friend!
(Elliot will join you tomorrow-minus 29 years!) Happy early birthday!
Happy early birthday, friend! I love 30.
:)
I would say your twenties were a HUGE success! It's been my favorite decade of yours so far (mostly because I knew you all 10 wonderful years)!! Hope you have a fabulous birthday tomorrow. Here's to many more decades of friendship!
Happy Birthday, Leslie! You are definitely ending your twenties with a bang.
Cheers to a happy, happy birthday!
looks like a great list! happy birthday!
Happy Birthday and congrats on such a successful decade! I can testify that the 30s are even better than the 20s (although many of your milestones from the 20s were mine in the 30s, so what do I know?! :) )
I didn't know that you were a part of BSF! I've been a BSF'er since 1999 when I first studied Romans with them. I haven't been able to join a class in LA (20 miles takes 2 hours in traffic and with the doctoral program it just isn't happening) but so much of what I know about the bible and God in Christ is from the classes I've taken over the years with them! I always love hearing when other friends of mine have discovered BSF as well.
You WERE busy in your 20's! Happy 30's to you, dear friend. You are lovely inside and out. :)
Did you have to mention 40?! I'm really scared if 40 comes as quickly as 30. ;)
Post a Comment