She could recap Downton Abbey better than any of my girlfriends. She loved Barack Obama and the nightly news. She never missed a Broncos game on television. She sang the silliest songs, and when I was a little girl she told me my hair was made of gold (I believed her). She taught me to make pie crust and cream puffs. She passed on her love for Singing in the Rain, Somewhere in Time, and Garrison Keillor. She gave me her hammer-head thumbs, her pun-filled sense of humor and her opal ring. She taught me that ministry could be as simple as a card, a stamp, and a thoughtfully chosen clipping from a newspaper. She raised an adorable little boy to be my wonderful daddy. She taught me to value my family and my history. She showed me what it means to love unconditionally for a lifetime and beyond, and to serve selflessly without expectation.
Meeting Riggins in September 2010
Yesterday my beloved Grammy, my friend, left this broken world and her broken body and was united with Jesus. She was also reunited with the love of her life, Bobby. Since his passing two and a half years ago, she still mentioned how much she missed him every time we spoke on the phone. She thought Rhett had Bobby's lips, her favorite feature of his; the thought of those lips still made her swoon at 89 years old!
I had plane tickets to take the boys out to Colorado Springs for a visit in November. How I had hoped she would hang on until then! But I know how ready she was to go home, so while I selfishly wish I could have seen her once more and shown her these beautiful boys, I can hardly hold it against her.
In these last weeks, she and my aunt had many conversations about this closing chapter of her life's journey. She articulated that she was so tired and so ready, but that she had one lingering concern:
Who will pray for my family?
I could write a novel on the legacy my grandmother has left for me, but this one question captures her heart. I know for certain that my Grammy prayed for each of her family members by name and in detail every day, and that she had personally shared her testimony of the Gospel with each member of our family. Her body may have slowly failed her, but her mind and spirit never did, and she would spend her days sitting in her chair pouring out her heart to God over the lives of her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. In her final days, her one concern was that someone would continue to carry the torch, daily laying the lives of her precious loved ones out before the Lord.
Can you imagine being so dedicated to prayer for your family that its continuation was your one outstanding concern at the end of your days? I don't pray like that, but I want to. So even though she has taught me many, many things in my thirty years, I hope that her final concern will spur one last lifelong lesson in me: to be a woman of fervent prayer for those I love.
I love you, Grammy, and will miss our late night chats. Enjoy giving Bobby a big smooch on those pretty lips :)
11 comments:
Beautiful.
This is a beautiful post. It sounds like she was a sweet, sweet lady.
Take the reins of your family, Leslie. It sounds like Grammy passed along down to you. RIP {and help Obama with the swing states}.
We lost two beloved friends several years ago who were in the wrong place at the wrong time and were killed instantly by a drunk driver while on their way to church. Both were like grandparents to my children and their sudden loss was such a blow, and we were devastated. We knew they prayed for our family constantly, as your grandmother did, and grieved not only the loss of their earthly comfort, but those prayers as well. One miraculous day shortly after their funerals, my husband was praying, imploring Jesus to heal us, thanking Him for Mim and Larry's presence in our lives, but also asking why, and what would we do without their prayerful presence? A message came upon his heart, loud and clear: those prayers lifted by our beloved friends will CONTINUALLY be heard...prayers don't just stop because the words no longer leave our lips. He hears them, He is glorified by them, and He doesn't just, well....forget! ;) We were both so excited by that new awareness.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure your gramma is with Jesus (and my Mim and Larry) dancing down the streets of gold.
Hugs,
Susie
What a beautiful legacy! You are blessed to have been loved by such a great woman. Praying for you as you mourn your loss and celebrate her life. Love you friend!
what a wonderful legacy to leave. this gives me something to work up to. sorry to hear of her passing but so glad she gets her reward in heaven!
This is beautiful. What a legacy from your sweet Grandmother...makes me miss my Papa. :) Very well written, friend.
Oh, and she passed along her gift of the written word to you--you always take the time to write out thoughtful comments on my blog which show that you actually read the content and then considered your reply. I admire that, especially with two little ones all up in your business. ;)
I don't even know what to say. I was completely choked up reading this post--such an amazing woman with a heart for the Lord. I am so sorry for your loss (hugs to your dad) but I think the reunion in heaven was as sweet as they come. I have no doubt your family will continue to have a prayer warrior--suit up, my friend.
Leslie, I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like she was a remarkable woman. Your tribute to her was beautiful.
I am so sorry for your loss, Leslie. Your words are such a tribute to a wonderful lady. My prayers are with your family.
Post a Comment