Thursday, November 8, 2012

Rhett is 7 Months!


November 5, 2012

Dear Rhett,

There is something about the seven month mark that gives me a little lump in my throat, buddy!  The fact that you are over halfway through your first year drives home the reality that you will not be a squishy little baby much longer.  Having your big brother around is a constant reminder of how little you still are, however, so I am soaking up my bitty baby as much as I can!

At seven months you weigh 18 pounds, wear 6-9 month clothing, 12 month pajamas, and a size 3 diaper.  You nurse every 3-4 hours during the day and once or twice at night.  You sleep from about 7:30 to 8:00 each night and typically take two naps.  Your morning nap isn't always at a consistent time due to activities with your big brother, but you take a nap after lunch each day.  You are rarely game for a third catnap and usually prefer just to go to bed early.  New skills this month include sleeping on your tummy, blowing raspberries, rolling and scooting more than ever, grabbing toys (much to Riggins' chagrin) pushing up onto your hands and tippy toes, and sitting up completely unassisted.  My favorite trick is when you push your little booty in the air and then jut your legs out behind you to scoot backwards like a little confused inch worm!  

Solid foods were introduced this month, and you are not impressed!  When given a bite of food--any food--you look as though we are attempting to poison you, making the most disgusted faces, shuddering, squeezing your eyes shut, gagging, thrusting it out with your tongue...the works!  It has caught me a bit off guard (your mama LOVES food Rhett, so I find it hard to relate!) but I am trying to be patient and trust that at some point you'll want to eat something other than milk.     

Several other "firsts" occurred this month.  You took your first road trip to Colorado for my grandmother's funeral.  Although the circumstances were not the best, your family members were so excited to meet you and I think your presence and snuggles brightened everyone's moods.  The other big first was your first illness; you had an ear infection that spiked up to a 104 degree fever and you were just pitiful and so, so hot.  You took your antibiotics like a champ and improved within a week, and I was so happy to have my cheerful little sweetheart back again!  Finally, we celebrated your first Halloween!  I dressed you in an adorable little donkey costume and you tagged along in the wagon as Riggins trick-or-treated with friends.  Needless to say, you were the cutest donkey I've ever laid eyes on!

You love bath time and have figured out how to splash.  If you're lucky enough for Riggs to join you in the bath you get positively giddy, belly laughing and splashing like crazy!  When you're feeling silly you shake your head side to side really fast and it cracks us up.  You also love time in your Jumparoo, riding in a shopping cart, laying outside on a blanket watching Weber and Riggins, or chatting yourself up in the mirrored closet doors in Riggs' room.  You are still a remarkably content baby and are perfectly happy to just sit with a toy and watch the action.  Other "loves" include your pacifier, the remote control, your little car toy, and Sophie the Giraffe.  Just about the only thing you really dislike other than solid food is getting your nose wiped or aspirated; it makes you madder than a hornet!

I love you, Rhett.  I love your bright blue eyes with their long, dark lashes.  I love your rosy cheeks.  I love your scrunchy-nosed smile.  I love the way you hold my thumb when you're nursing.  I love our Tuesdays and Thursdays when it's just the two of us.  I love the way you blow raspberries.  I love your calm, peaceful spirit and what it teaches me about contentment.  You're still my little Peach, Rhettaroo, and I love you so!

Love,
Momma
 


3 comments:

mckenziegordon said...

So sweet! He's getting so big and even more handsome!

Sweet Simplicity said...

Those eyes! He is adorable!

Hammond Bride said...

I'm just now reading this post (we've been on a napping strike around here) and I'm shocked that Rhett and Caleb are about the same size! Rhett clearly has more skills, but he weighs the same as my very chunky baby!