I'm not sure if anyone even pops by this old blog anymore, and since I haven't posted anything in a ridiculously long time I sure wouldn't blame you. There are no great excuses for my absence other than lack of motivation and inspiration to write. Life is full and when I get bits of downtime I'm content to read the blogs of others and post quick snippets to Instagram. But a little something has happened in our lives and out of sheer mom guilt I feel the need to keep things equal between our THREE children and blog about it:
It just wouldn't be fair to this little peanut to not get the same Internet introduction as his or her big brothers, now would it?
That's right...Baby #3 is on the way and expected to arrive in early September. We are once again grateful and thrilled to take on the journey of welcoming a new life and adding to the joy of our family.
For my own memory and for any inquiring minds, here are some thoughts on the first trimester of this pregnancy:
Yes, this was planned :) Some people ask, but everyone is thinking it, right? Once you get past two kids, everyone wants to know if it was a surprise! We always knew we wanted a third child. Jonathan, who is a few years older than me, has been ready for awhile now. I took a little longer to feel ready to start the whole process again. But once we were both ready things happened pretty quickly and on New Years Eve we got the news that 2014 would bring a new baby with it!
No, we were not "trying for a girl." We love having boys. We will be thrilled if we find out we are expecting a third boy. As I watch our boys romp around on our land I can't help but think what a magical place this would be for three brothers to grow up together. We would also be thrilled to have a girl! I will say that I hoped for boys with my first two pregnancies and that this is the first time that I find myself thinking that girls aren't so scary after all and that it would be really fun to have the experience of raising a daughter. And I might need a buddy when these boys run off and leave me for other women (SOB!). So truly, we are just praying for a healthy baby and look forward to finding out how the dynamic of our family will change with the addition of a boy or a girl. We should find out in early April.
I feel like junk, but I'm glad to feel like junk. It is not lost on me that being pregnant is an undeserved gift that many women I know are longing for, so you will never hear me complain about the inconveniences involved. I'm in my 13th week and have my fingers crossed that I'll begin to turn the corner soon, but I have definitely been sick and exhausted. In typical form for me, I felt great until about 7 weeks and then the nausea, vomiting, and exhaustion hit in full force. I experienced morning sickness and some vomiting with both boys, but I this round has been worse. This past week I added to the mix with a hit of the stomach bug from Wednesday to Thursday and then a miserable cold that hit me Saturday night. As you can imagine, I'm ready for the second trimester to kick in; and a dose of Spring wouldn't hurt either!
One big change is that this is our first time to have a baby in Oklahoma instead of Memphis. I absolutely adored my OB/GYN in Memphis (for reals, y'all, at my last appointment we were both in tears!) so it has been a bit of an adjustment to not walk back into that familiar office with familiar faces and familiar routines. The plus side is that I am getting to try something that I always thought I would like, and that is using a midwife. In Oklahoma we are fortunate to be able to have certified nurse midwives in the hospital. (In Tennessee, midwifery is only allowed at home births.) At my particular hospital they work in a group with OBs, so if at any point your pregnancy or delivery shows evidence of risk you are moved over to the care of an OB. Since my previous pregnancies and deliveries have been uneventful, and since I enjoyed a great experience with Rhett's natural delivery in particular, I've decided to try this approach this time. I've only had one appointment but so far I think it's going to be a good fit, especially for a third baby where a low-key, minimal intervention approach is more in line with my needs.
Oh, and the last big adjustment of this pregnancy? This will be my first time to ever be pregnant in the summer! Yikes! Both of my boys were born in April, so I've always been pregnant in fall and winter. I've been spoiled by being able to drape my growing body in sweaters and scarves and curl up indoors, so I'm a bit intimidated by the idea of pregnancy during a season that necessitates minimal clothing in sweltering heat! And wearing a swimsuit in the third trimester!?! Oh sweet Lord, help me and all those who get to see that spectacle. (But I hear the pool is the only place to survive a summer pregnancy so I fully intend to be the beached whale of my in-laws' neighborhood pool this July and August!)
So all you mamas to summer and fall babies, please fill me in on your maternity wardrobe essentials and tricks, because I'm going to need to do some shopping. And if you have any warm weather maternity clothes you'd like to lend out or give away, I'd be happy to take them off your hands ;) But seriously, what did you live in with your summer pregnancy? Dresses? Shorts? What should I invest in this go-around?

13 comments:
So excited for you and your family! I've been feeling some mom guilt about not blogging about my second baby like I did the first one, so maybe I'll get around to it soon! Both of my babies were born in the fall, and I lived in dresses, long tank tops, and running shorts! I also had a cute tankini from Old Navy that I loved and didn't feel like a total whale in. Also, eat lots of sno cones! Congrats!
I still read! Was so excited to see an update! But, I totally get it...my posts are becoming few and far between. My thought is that I'll try my best to document Nora's first year for her "baby book" blog book, and, if a few other posts make their way in, great! I figure I'll have more brain space to write later on ... maybe ... ;) Congrats again, friend!
So being that I was huge in the middle of summer, I would suggest buying dresses and flip flops! Oh and swimsuits from Target. I loved being pregnant in the summer. You can get away with wearing flip flops every day and don't have to worry about swollen feet! I'm so excited for you! God is so good.
Congrats!! How exciting!
So excited for you all! :)
So fun! I'm due mid August so let me know any summer wardrobe finds!
Congrats! I had a late July baby...honestly it's nice because you get to wear sandals on your swollen feet and lots of dresses!
Congratulations, Leslie! I personally really appreciate your sensitivity and not complaining. It is so hard for me to see people complaining about pregnancy symptoms, but I know I need to extend them grace. I have to remember that I am glad that symptoms are what they have to complain about, hopefully not having experienced a loss, and I try to remind myself that their sickness/symptoms/etc are real as well. We all have things that are struggles, and comparing struggles doesn't do much good. But still, I would love to have those symptoms and it's a battle to have grace all the time, one I think I lose more than win. We recently experienced our third loss and I am grateful for your sensitivity. We are going to a specialist on April 7, praying for some answers and guidance. Sorry to bring your blog comment section down (womp womp), but I do appreciate your kindness.
~K
Congratulations!! What an exciting time for you and your little family!
Congratulations! That is such great news! My blog posts are pretty few and far between these days so I completely understand. I hope you start feeling better soon!
Congratulations! So lovely to see you back and to hear your exciting news!
I had my son in October 2012... it was a HOT summer and HOT lead into fall. I lived in dresses 24/7. You can wear almost anything dress, too. I was a medium but bought L and XL dresses when I couldn't find maternity dresses that I liked.
I was pregnant in the summer. I wore lots of comfy dresses. And of course the standard shorts and tshirts fir casual. But dresses are great because they be both casual and dressy depending on the shoes and jewelry you wear.
Post a Comment