My new work environment is a village of cubicles. I have never been in a cubicle before (though I have once worked in a tiny room with five other graduate assistants, so I have a bit of experience with sharing a work space with others).
But here's the deal: something about cubicles makes people irrational. It is as though they suddenly forget that the cubicles are open at the top, instead thinking that they are in a soundproof booth. They hock loogies (not quite sure how you spell that disgusting phrase, but you get my drift), they play loud music, they talk loudly on the phone.
Seriously, people...I CAN HEAR YOU! And I throw up just a little every time you clear phlegm from your throat! And I can't hear myself think when you're blaring obscure alternative and R&B music over your speakers! WHY DO YOU TORTURE ME SO???
Oh, and have I mentioned that my biggest pet peeve in the world is two competing sounds: for example, the tv and the radio on, two different sources of music, etc.? So most of the time it is not just one culprit. It is the combination of Pandora stations, conversations, and bodily functions that kills me. So it's not like I can just turn on my own tunes in attempts to drown out the others. That would just make it worse.
Perhaps tomorrow is the day that I bring my Ipod to work, put in those earbuds, and work in peace. I think it is time.
Or I could follow my hubby's passive-agressive recommendations: "Hey, are you getting sick over here? I've got some yummy tea and cough drops in my cube!" (AKA: Hey, sicko...you're grossing me out with all your hacking. Get a hint!).
Its a good thing I really love my coworkers!
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh, my! What a mess..lol..ipod pronto!
Bless your soul! i would be so grossed out!! Oh my, ipod mmight be your best fix :)
Thats SO not cool! I have the same pet peeve at the gym when 5 people are all watching a different show on their TVs. Oi!
Leslie! It continues to amaze me how similar we are. When I worked at that architect firm before teaching, I had an office next to a bunch of cubicles...I could not STAND all the different radio stations!!! How distracting! And I still can't have music and TV on here at home. Just too much!
And phlegm is nasty. At all times.
I say go for the less passive approach and say, "QUIT YOU'RE HACKIN, I'M ABOUT TO VOMIT!"
That's what I would do. But then again, I'm all talk. ;)
Post a Comment