Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Beyond Band of Brothers

As an Air Force brat from a long line of servicemen, and an all-around history lover, I have always been intrigued by stories of WWII. My dad and I spent evenings together watching The History Channel throughout my high school years, and when Band of Brothers came out on DVD several years ago I was hooked.

This book is the memoir of Major Dick Winters, the leader of Easy Company on which Band of Brothers was based. The courage of these Average Joe young men never fails to leave me in awe. While the book is full of stories, it is essentially a book on leadership, and it left me with several challenging thoughts to chew on regarding my own personal discipline as a person and development as a leader.

So if you just so happen to be a girl who gets as big a kick out of a war story as you do out of a chick flick, check it out! (And if you are a guy who just happens to read this blog, then you should really check it out!)

3 comments:

Christie said...

I thought the original Band of Brothers book was really awesome, so thanks for this recommendation.

Christi said...

read it. loved it. I don't consider my self a reader, but war history I can do. I think it started with Black Hawk Down. It's important to never forget what these men endured. thanks for sharing the rec.

Jill said...

Thanks for sharing...my father would LOVE these!
Blessings!
Jill