Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spring to Me

is forsythia...
Image

Forsythia is one of the earliest bloomers here in Memphis, and it never fails to make me smile. I just love its wild branches and brilliant color. And in my opinion, it should never ever be pruned. There is nothing sadder than a perfectly boxy or rounded forsythia bush. The beauty is in its sprawling chaos.
When we lived on the OBU campus, the driveway to our apartment on the side of Kerr Residence Hall was lined in forsythia bushes. I would clip sporadic branches and bring them inside, letting the yellow blooms brighten up our little cinder block dwelling. I might have to make friends with a forsythia-growing neighbor so that I can recreate that little bit of spring indoors once again.
A gorgeous spring is definitely one perk of Memphis living. This city is so lush and green, and when spring rolls around it is at its finest; even the trees along the highway drip with wysteria! Now if only I didn't have to spend the majority of this glorious time in a windowless office...

2 comments:

Christi said...

mmmm..spring rolls. I'm hungry. I bet you are too, being preggo and all, haha.
So excited for spring, we had a couple nice days here, now back to coldish weather.
Rachel W is setting the date today for her C section!! Yall are getting so close.Brandi too. So thrilled for you Poes. Yall are going to be fantabulous parents to one sweet lil man! I hope this blog is filled with pics once Riggs comes!

Pleasant Living said...

That is a gorgeous plant! I've been looking for landscaping ideas, so this just might have to be one of my new additions!