Friday, August 13, 2010

The Great Divide



Well, folks, the Great Divide of infant independence has begun.  Riggs has officially moved from his cradle in our room to the crib in his nursery across the hall.

About a month ago, Jonathan asked me when we would move Riggs to his crib.  Since I had a big trip to Oklahoma planned for the first week of August--during which he would be sleeping in a pack and play in my room--I told him that we would make the transition after our trip.

Wouldn't you know that on the night before our departure, I had a slight freak-out moment upon realizing that if that were really the plan, this would be my last night to have my itty bitty baby sleeping next to me in his sweet cradle.  It wasn't anxiety or fear that got me...just sadness.  The realization that this was just one of many milestones that Riggs will be accomplishing, and that each of those transitions will take him further and further away from me.  Which is the entire point, right?

But still.  Ugh.

So upon returning from Oklahoma, we enjoyed one last night with Riggs by my side, just a glance away.  You know, for old times sake.  I had to admit that he is getting heavier to lift and that I now have to sit all the way up in bed just to lean over and pick him up.  And that we are both being awakened by noises that are difficult to ignore when just a foot away, but that don't necessarily indicate a need to be fed or soothed.  And that it might be nice not to tiptoe through our bedroom as we get ready to hit the sack ourselves each night.

He has spent the past two nights in his crib and it has gone okay.  The first night I made the mistake of keeping his door shut and leaving the monitor volume too low.  By the time I heard him, he had probably been crying for a good stretch of time and was really worked up, making it that much harder to get him back down after nursing.  So last night I bumped up the volume a bit and was able to get to him before he completely lost it, feed him, and put him right back down with no trouble.  Much better.

Somehow I can't seem to move that cradle out of our room just yet.  We need the space, but that makes the transition much too official.

Baby steps, baby steps.

4 comments:

Christi said...

I feel like saying both "yay" and "awww." Yay for him growing and transitioning well and aww for you cause I know there's that feeling of never getting those sweet nights back =( boohoo. (now I’m remembering my own late night wake ups) But again, yay for little man growing! Though there are perks to him being in his room, like you mentioned no tiptoeing or little noises to wake you.
I just want to know how moms did it before baby monitors?! Haha

The Avra Fam said...

Les, I soooo feel your pain. I am working on a post right now about Austyn's crib transition. You were at least better than we were...she has been sleeping in bed with us :( so these last couple of nights have been really tough for mommy. PS Riggs is soooo cute!!!!!

Erin said...

Ahh, it's like you took the thoughts and feelings out of my head! Felt the same way, girl. So good to do, so sad also. You're doing so great, Les!!!

Lyndsy said...

Your ears will get more sensitive to the bedroom next door. We do it without monitors- well I should say I right- we already shared that post about J not waking! Heath has been there for awhile now and I can really appreciate the better sleep we get without hearing all of his sounds. I've been bringing him to bed with me for the 6-7am feeding to see if we can get any extra z's afterwards and nursing in bed is a precious time.