After roasting my husband for his remarkable nocturnal deafness, I suppose it is only fair that I share my recent midnight antics.
THE SCENE: His parents' home in Oklahoma. We are in bed, Riggs in the pack-n-play next to us.
THE BACKGROUND: When Riggins wakes to eat in the wee morning hours, I often just pick him up and nurse him in the side-laying position (baby gets food, mama gets to snooze...brilliant!). This means that we often both fall asleep at some point during the feeding, so early morning sometimes involves a little co-sleeping at our house. Snuggles for all! Hooray!
THE INCIDENT: This particular evening, however, I opened my eyes around 1 a.m., not fully awake but hovering in that hazy, irrational no-man's-land of consciousness. And in my bleary, sleepy mind, I had nursed Riggins in bed, fallen back asleep, and he was now nowhere to be found.
Poor Jonathan awoke to me frantically shouting, "WHERE'S THE BABY!?! WHERE'S THE BABY!?!" Over and over again, all while throwing the covers around in search of my precious bundle that was certainly suffocated under the blankets by now. And then of course I had to shove Jonathan in attempts to make him roll over, because if he wasn't under the covers then Jonathan had obviously rolled over on to him, smooshing him to smithereens!
My poor husband finally broke away from the ambush, sat up, leaned over me, pointed to the pack-and-play, and firmly said, "He's RIGHT. THERE!"
There he was, a perfectly swaddled little bundle, sound asleep with a peaceful smile across his little angel face. He had yet to make a peep all night, much less join us in bed!
And suddenly I was completely awake. And completely aware of what I had done. And completely aware that I am a moron.
Oopsie.
Sorry, babe! Truce? :)
As you can see, Riggs thought this whole thing was hilarious....
Saturday, August 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
So had you put him back in the pack and play already or did your man get up and move him without you knowing?
We often have co-sleeping moments from nursing in bed too, very precious cuddle time!
I should edit this! He had never been in our bed in the first place! It was a completely unnecessary freak out :)
This is HILARIOUS!! You should tell Jonathan that you were simply concerned for the welfare of your child. No harm in that, right?? :)
ha. guilty...a few times from me on this one. it's what happens when PURE exhaustion kicks in.
So funny and so scary at the same time! I don't blame you for freaking out!
I laughed out loud when I read this Leslie! I totally did this to Jeff at least once, maybe twice... :)
You're great! Riggs is so cute!!!
Ryan HATES when I feed our kiddos during the night and doze off before returning them to their bed - except he's the one that wakes up in a panic. This has happened no less than a dozen times at our house - hope it will be your one and only incident :)
Post a Comment