The sun is finally shining in Memphis today, and Jonathan decided to take a break from studying for boards to enjoy the weather. He bundled up the baby, leashed up the dog, and headed off to a state park north of town for a hike.
I stood on the porch, waving goodbye, trying my best to suppress a giddy squeal.
The entire house. To myself. For the afternoon.
As soon as the car was out of the driveway, I turned on my heel, bounded through the front door, and skipped through the house, reeling at the possibilities. I could take a nap! Read that new magazine! Call that friend! Stare at the wall! How's a girl to choose?!?
And then I was stopped in my tracks. There, in the middle of my living room, was a small pile of dirty leaves. Jonathan had grabbed something from the shed out back and must have tracked it in on his hiking boot. Annoyed, since I just cleaned all the floors in the house yesterday, I bent over to pick it up. And noticed that the leaves were held together by a clump of mud.
Scratch that. Make that dog poo.
I looked up to see more. All over the kitchen floor. All through the living room. Tracked through the house from back door to front.
Visions of relaxation vanished, replaced by the aromatherapy of disinfectant. Because although I am at peace with the fact that my child will ingest germs and will have grubby hands and knees for the next decade, I am not at peace with fecal matter. (Is it crazy that I am considering becoming one of those "take your shoes off at the door" families?)
As I scrubbed, my dad called, and I gave him the rundown on my situation.
"All other duties as assigned, huh?" he said with a laugh.
Ah, the life of a grown up. You just never know what the job description is going to throw at you next!
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Ah, man! I know what a treasure it is to be ALONE at your OWN HOME, so what a bummer that the time was spent cleaning poo. Sorry, friend. Maybe next time you can do a little bit of relaxing, too.
I *just* thought about the "take your shoes off at the door" concept today as a viable practice in our future. Now if only I could make my dogs take THEIR shoes off at the door. ;)
Oh no! I'm sorry you had to spend your free afternoon like that! We've become a "take your shoes off at the front door" family. I used to think those people were so annoying. And now I'm one of them. But it seriously saves so much time and effort when it comes to keeping those floors clean.
Seems like those treasured moments are almost always interrupted with life! Hope you still got a little Leslie time.
NO! Fecal matter...I would have DIED...Just became a follower - read the SOB comment on superfluities and that was just too funny...
Well my original response when I first read this was, "Oh, poop." And then I realized it quite literally was. And then I chuckled.
Post a Comment