It was the best of weekends. It was the worst of weekends.
We kicked it all off with the wonderful surprise of a second snow day. This time, it was even sweeter, because it fell on a day when Jonathan would have normally been at the clinic until at least 7 p.m. We did a nice little victory dance when the news came that he was off all day, and bundled up for a walk in Overton Park.
The entire park was a winter wonderland! Next year we'll be joining all the kids sledding down the hill at Levitt Shell, but this year we made do with a stroll through the woods.
We got home, settled in for a long winters nap, and when I woke up it all came crashing down. The dreaded 24-hour stomach bug hit me with a vengeance. I'll spare you the gory details, but let's just say that I couldn't keep anything down--not even water--for the first 12 hours. It was miserable.
This was the first time that I had been sick since Riggins arrived, and boy was it a reality check! Luckily this all occurred on a weekend, so Jonathan was home to take care of Riggins and me. Still, there was an overwhelming awareness of the fact that life can no longer come to a complete halt just because I'm sick. I spent most of the days sequestered in our bedroom because poor Riggs just couldn't understand why he couldn't crawl up to mama and get in my face!
Luckily I was able to keep some fluids and crackers down on Saturday, because that night was the Eye Ball. If it had been just regular plans with friends I would have stayed home, but this is a once a year event. And I bought a new dress, people! There are not many occasions for a stay-at-home mom to wear a gold fancy dress, and you just can't let these opportunities pass without a fight. So I pulled it together, got all dolled up, and managed to ignore the nausea long enough to enjoy dinner with our friends (I resisted the temptation to order an amazing meal and settled for soup; just not worth the risk after my stomach's weekend track record!) and a short appearance at the party.
Here I am with my handsome Doc. (Taken by our babysitter for the evening, my dear friend Emily...thanks again, Auntie Em!)
And on the dance floor. That's right. Not even the stomach bug can keep me from bustin' a move!
With a few of my beautiful friends. We are pretty much the Optometry Wives Support Group :)
Heading back home (at 10:30...we are such old geezers, but I knew I probably shouldn't press my luck!). This was outside the gorgeous lodge at the new Teton Trek exhibit at the Memphis Zoo where we had the Eye Ball. Can't wait to go back for a day time visit so we can actually see the animals!
I just have to take a moment to praise my fantastic husband for what a rock star he was this weekend (and I don't mean his dance moves at the Eye Ball, although they were pretty spectacular!). Thank you, sweetheart, for changing every diaper; giving every feeding; waking up with me in the middle of the night to bring me water as I puked only to wake up at 5:15 with Riggins; going to the grocery store as soon as it opened to stock me with ginger ale and crackers; not making me feel like a lazy bum for spending an entire weekend in bed; looking so hot in a shirt and tie; hitting the dance floor with me and cutting loose when I know you only do it because I love to dance.
You are quite the catch, my love. Pretty sure you're the trophy in this relationship.




8 comments:
Being sick with a baby is super hard. You don't think about that before it happens. Glad you're feeling better and that you didn't miss the Eye Ball!
You look beautiful.. Hope you're feeling better!!
Teton Trek is SO FUN in the summer with the water shooting everywhere! Be sure to pack a change of clothes and a towel for your little guy if you ever go during the summer. :-)
What a weekend! Glad you had some fun in the midst of the puking. :)
I'm sorry to hear you got so sick! You looked pretty fantastic for a sick lady, though! I love your gold dress.
The Eye Ball, haha, so awesome. Glad it was a short lived ickyness and glad it didn't hold you back from the fun. I tell ya, I have no idea how single mama's do it. and great pic in the park!
You looked gorgeous! I LOVE that dress!
LOve your dress! Your pics in the park are so cute and Teton Trek is awesome. I was in a wedding there at Teton Trek exhibit in October.We take my son about every 4 months and we love the grizzly bears
You looked gorgeous!! And that dress! Oh that dress is so pretty.
Post a Comment