Monday, March 7, 2011

Sweatpants, and Other Nicknames

As I cleaned the kitchen one afternoon last week, I happened to notice a little message left on our white board...


And you're probably thinking...sweatpants???  While my perpetually casual husband does enjoy a cozy pair of sweatpants, he was not including his favorite loungewear into his proclamation of love for wife and child.  No, "sweatpants" in this particular instance refers to our beloved canine, Weber. 

Apparently, I have a bad habit.  A bad habit of spontaneously spouting off random nicknames for the loved ones in my life.  It began when Weber entered our lives.  Overwhelmed by affection for the cuddly pup, I just couldn't help but get all mushy over her.  I sweet talked that dog like the cheesiest Valentine in the Hallmark store.  A few nicknames really stuck: Puppa, Pookah, Weber Sue, Puppa Dinka.  I know.  It's ridiculous.  I can't help myself.

I reached my lowest point one day when I said, "Come here, you sweet little bucket!"  In my twisted puppy love mind, bucket was short for "Bucket of Love" or "Bucket of Cuteness" or something equally ridiculous.  But Jonathan had had enough. 

"Did you just call her Bucket?"  

"Of course I did!"  I replied defensively, making a futile attempt to explain my logic.

"Les, you've gotten out of hand.  From now on, I'm just going to start nicknaming Weber after random household objects so that you can see that you sound like a nutcase!"  

At that, he turned to our little pointer, and called, "Oh Sweatpants!  Here, little Sweatpants!"

And it stuck.  We don't call her that often, but every once in awhile one of us busts out an "I love you, Sweatpants!" or "Cute little Sweatpants!"  in front of the other.  And we both get a good laugh.  And Weber gets a good snuggle.  It's a win win.  One of those lasting family inside jokes that occasionally pops up on your marker board one afternoon and gives you a good chuckle.  

And, in my defense, Sweatpants is a pretty fitting nickname.  She is soft, snuggly, cozy, relaxing, rest-inducing, and one of our favorite things.  Sweatpants, indeed.  



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha this is so funny!!! We call my youngest brother sweatpants...whenever he comes home from college he is always wearing them!

Katie said...

That's hilarious, Leslie. I'm all about nicknames, too. We called Caleb "Tator Tot" forever. You know, because it rhymes with "Caleb Scott", so that makes perfect sense, right?? :) I call Naomi "Butter Nugget". Weird, right?? It sounds weird until I see her and it comes spilling out of my mouth in this high-pitched, delighted voice. Then it makes perfect sense!! ;)

Pleasant Living said...

Cute. I love family jokes.

Say said...

Haha Crack me Up! My man nicknames everything and I can't help but laugh at the really random ones. What a funny joke ya'll will have for years!

Whitney said...

Leslie, I just noticed that you have will, living will, etc on your to do list...We have the exact same list, and it made me laugh. We are so old now. :)

PS: I am the same way, I have a million names for both my son and my dog.