Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Swimming in Memphis

Our friends and family members have been calling, texting, and emailing to find out if we have been effected by the flooding that has been plastered all over the national news.  I am happy to report that our little homestead is dry and safe.  Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for many of my fellow Memphians.  The expanse of the Mississippi River is absolutely mind-blowing; the water just goes on forever, and many of our riverside landmarks are under water.  We only live a few miles from downtown, yet we are on high ground that is not near any of the Mississippi's tributaries (the back-up of those smaller rivers is a big part of the problem here in Memphis as well).

And speaking of my beloved adoptive hometown, did you notice my new header?  (Those of you on Google Reader will have to just visit my site some time to check it out!)  My super talented friend Martha whipped it up for me and I just love it.  This girl has a gift for design, and I'm just kicking myself for not asking her to do it years ago!  She creates and sells some really fun graphic portraits and other fun things that you can see on her blog...go visit and tell her I sent you!

Just in case I'm wrong about us being fine in the Great Flood, rest assured that we have kayaks in the shed out back.  Tomorrow's project: teaching Riggins and Weber how to paddle!

4 comments:

Sweet Simplicity said...

I'm glad you guys are okay. I love the new header!

Kiersten said...

Glad to hear you're OK! The pictures on the news are crazy. And I noticed your new header... very cute!

Erin said...

So glad you guys are alright!

TLF said...

The water is mind blowing! We went downtown to Riverside last week so I could snap some pictures.. the water just goes on and on and on!

And then the images from the casinos in Tunica.. devastating, everything that some many have lost!