Disclaimer: the following post is a statement of my personal feelings about my personal experience. It is not a statement that is intended to make any one who did things differently feel bad. This is not a formula vs. breastfeeding debate, or a debate over how long you should nurse. It's just me, telling my story. So don't get your panties in a wad, ok? :)
I have just completed one of my proudest accomplishments. I have nursed my baby for 13 months. And we are finished.
I went into breastfeeding with an open mind, fully aware that for some babies and some mothers, it just doesn't work out. That said, I had my game face on to do everything in my power to make it work (a large part of that motivation was health, but a big part for me was financial). It's a good thing too, because I definitely had to put that game face to work! Between the typical cracked nipples (Yep, I just said nipple. On the Internets.), plugged ducts, and even a plugged milk pore (find that one in "What to Expect"...I dare ya!), the first six weeks were a matter of pure determination. It hurt, and the 45-minute feedings every three hours sometimes made me feel like I was going to go insane.
But it got better. Even when we hit the occasional bump in the road--a recurrent plugged duct, supply issues, the increased squirminess of a growing baby, a bout with the stomach flu that completely wiped out my supply for 48 hours, and even teething--I pushed on, determined to make it to the one year mark if my little guy would stick it out with me.
And he did. When his first birthday rolled around, we went down to nursing only at bedtime and first thing in the morning. And then little by little over the past month and a half, I noticed that he was losing interest, and that our nursing sessions were down to less than five minutes total.
The last few weeks have brought about a change in my heart as well. While the weeks around his birthday found me completely sad over the pending end of this sweet time with my son, the last few weeks have brought a sense of peace and closure. I was ready to be done, and I knew that he was at a point where he could care less whether we continued or not. It was the perfect segway to the next stage.
Early on in this process, I had expected weaning to be this dramatic event, culminating with an emotional final nursing after which I would place my sleeping baby in his crib and shed a tear as I walked out the door. In reality, weaning was a gradual, months-long process at the end of which my squirmy toddler would nurse for less than five minutes--sitting up, at that--before reaching for his toothbrush and squirming out of my arms to be put into his crib. I never really knew when the last nursing session might come, and though I felt a few pangs of nostalgia, I didn't mind letting go of that idealistic vision of nursing mother and child.
But on Tuesday night, he was content to lay there, cradled in my arms, one hand twirling my "R" necklace as always, and the other clutching my finger. He stayed for longer than usual, and I sniffed his freshly shampooed head as I sang all of our favorite lullabies. I was keenly aware that everything was just as it should be, and that it was the perfect way to end this chapter. I am sad that I will never experience that closeness with my son in the same way again. At the same time, I am enjoying the added time and freedom that weaning brings. He is no longer a baby but a toddler, and it's time for both of us to move on.
Yes, nursing was everything people say it is: painful and uncomfortable, tedious, gross, awkward, sometimes embarrassing, and exhausting. (For the record, each of those things improved with time!) Yet it was also, hands-down, one of the most beautiful, amazing, fascinating, rewarding, intimate experiences of my life. Well worth it, indeed.
If you have any questions about our nursing experience, feel free to leave them in the comments or shoot me an email. I'm an open book and am really passionate about helping other new moms succeed with breastfeeding. A solid community of fellow nursing moms is one of the best tools I can recommend when you're trying to stick it out!
Friday, June 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
My son was nursed for 13 months as well, and our weaning process was almost identical to yours. Such a bittersweet time!! :)
Jude was 13 months too. There just must be something about that milestone. I'm so glad you stuck through it all good and bad...you said exactly what I felt about the whole process!
Good job on the gradual weaning. I think the drama and tears comes when the parent forces the child to give up something he's not ready to give up yet (either nutritionally or emotionally). Way to read your child and let him wean himself! :)
This was so sweet. Weaning can be really tricky and I know the experience is definitely different for every Mom. I'm glad yours was a good one! This sounds a lot like my experience with Caleb--he was simply finished (earlier, at ten months) and that was that, easy and gradual. Naomi was a much harder, different story (despite my best efforts) but in the end it really is about doing your best and being satisfied with that.
I love the picture at the beginning of the post. So precious!!
Leslie- this was really sweet. AND HILARIOUS!! I laughed out loud at the disclaimer at the beginning!! Panties in a wad about nursing is a new thing to me... everyone out here nurses... like it's not an option not to.
Anyways, thanks for sharing this because I had just come to the conclusion that I was going to nurse Cruz until he was 12... but 13 months sounds good ;) Plus I had a HORRIBLE case of mastitis this week that put me down and out for a few days..
Wow! I'm impressed. I couldn't nurse my son because he was premature but I pumped and bottle fed for 3 weeks. However pumping and feeding around the clock ever 2 hours for 3 weeks (and making almost no milk) was more than I could handle. Still I think even bottle feeding was a great bonding experience. The last time I gave him that bottle was harder for me than it was for him. Your post was heartfelt and honest. As a bottle feeding mama (who would probably bottle feed again) I was in no way offended.
I teared up at the first sentence (well, after the disclaimer, ha!) I love hearing the real stories, each so different. I tried nursing with Sean but he was so small and he got bottles in the NICU, not to say that's why he never caught on....err latched on? =) I'm looking forward to trying with little miss and will keep on open mind, but will stay determined!
Thanks for sharing, nursing is such a beautiful gift, a great design from God.
Leslie...I cried while reading this. I'm dreading the day when Brendan will stop nursing. I was so surprised by how much I love this time with my baby. I went into it thinking that I would hate it, but as soon as we started, I knew it was the right thing for us. Thanks for sharing!
Laughed at the title.
Cried during the post.
E nursed for 13 months, and I absolutely never thought I'd make it that long when I first started. Nor did I think I would enjoy the experience so much. Who knew!?! Once we finally figured out I was pregnant again and had been nursing for a couple of months while knocked up, I think my body was so confused and depleted--ha! It worked out perfectly though, as E was weaning off on her own, much like Riggins did. So crazy how they just know.
Anyway, I enjoyed your open-minded and honest take on the experience, and GO YOU for making it 13 months! It is not always easy, so I give you mad props, friend. :)
Congratulations on a great ending to such a sweet season of life. Mine was done a little after her first birthday too. I agree about community helping with the commitment. I couldn't have forged through the tough stuff without my sister as a bf example and encourager.
Thank you for sharing so openly! I've been tempted to write a post of my own, even simply for reference when I'm nursing my sometime-down-the-road #2! We lasted 10 months, and struggled through everything you mentioned, plus nipple shields and a personal insecurity due to little E's thin frame (repeatedly mistaken as "hungry" by my mom!). All-in-all, it's a time I cherish having had with him and find our relationship all the stronger for it. Your Riggins is truly blessed to have such a loving and caring mom! :)
Well, I currently have no nursing questions (thankfully!), but you are one person I will totally feel comfortable asking nursing questions in the future! Glad it was such a wonderful experience. Also, BillandCristin (see post above mine) went to OSU with me! Know and love them both! Small world! (Hi Cristin, if you read this!)
Thanks for sharing this! I, like you, decided to nurse my little boy for health and economic reasons, not realizing what a sweet time it would be for me! For the past few months I have been dreading the day I would have to give it up, and this made me feel so much better! I am hoping to gradually wean, allowing both of us to be ready for the transition. Thanks again!
Post a Comment