After two years of living in Texas, we hit the trail back north to Oklahoma. Toward the end of our time in Waco, Jonathan had decided on a career change from finance to optometry. I had taken a job at our alma mater as a residence hall director, which conveniently paid his way through prerequisites. Aside from his rigorous science courses and the round-the-clock demands of my live-in job, it was a sweet, simple time for us.
We had just lost Mama Dot and Papa Todd that previous Spring, and as the holidays approached we all longed to be with our extended family. Still, the thought of experiencing the holidays without those cherished loved ones was hard to bear. My mother-in-law's older brother and his family live in Australia, and a visit Down Under became the perfect solution: we were surrounded by dear family members, and yet doing something completely fresh and new for Christmas. Thanks to the generosity of my wonderful in-laws, Jonathan and I got to trade our Bison Hill winter for a Down Under summer!
In LAX, ready for a LONG flight to Melbourne!
It's hard for me to sum up this trip in words. While I had met everyone in the Ozzie branch of the family but cousin Lee, I hadn't had the opportunity to really spend quality time with any of them. Though we did quite a bit of sightseeing, we also spent lots of time just hanging out and relaxing. This gave me a chance to get to know this branch of our family in a deeper way, and to realize that I really, really like these people. I mean, seriously, how many girls can travel internationally with their in-laws for almost two weeks--to visit another branch of in-laws at that--and come out liking all of them even more than she did before? Not many, I tell you. Not many. I am a blessed girl.
So in a nutshell, on this trip we did a lot of this...
'
I have yet to meet the family membership requirement of playing tennis...
If you thought you were smart, try doing crossword puzzles with Larson and you'll be humbled forever. 
But we also had some fun around Melbourne!
Visiting a market near Lee's place...
Touring Larson's alma mater, The University of Melbourne
Eating gelato, although Drew and Lee seem to be busy as secret agents, gang members, or seeing impaired...
Seeing the sights...
Boats at Mornington
Golfing for the fellas
Brothers.
Hiking to Point Napean
Sailing the Harbor
And looking for kookaburras in the old gum tree.
Our time in Australia was restful, rejuvenating, and unifying for our family. If only Australia weren't a 16 hour (expensive) flight away, I'd go every Christmas! Looking forward to another reunion with our favorite Aussies one day...we've got to get Riggins down under too!

3 comments:
Ahh, Melbourne is very high on my list of places to visit! Looks lovely. And funny to see this, as Drew, Larson, and Todd just crashed at our apartment in Oslo for a night before their fjording adventure on the west coast of Norway. Such cool guys! They cleaned up the entire kitchen after our pancake breakfast while Ken and I were out - they can stay again anytime :) You have a cool fam!
Your trip sounded like a lot fun and what better way to spend the holidays with family in a different place. Australia is on my list of places to travel to. Rigs is getting so big and so adorable!
This is one place on my must-visit list. How fun that you and your in-laws get along so well and can travel together!
Post a Comment