Monday is my grocery shopping day. Usually, that finds us heading off to the nearest Kroger (the Stab-and-Grab on Poplar and Cleveland when I'm feeling frisky, or its tamer cousin on Highland), and sometimes to the Super Target across town. Today's grocery list had a few special items that required a trip to Wal-Mart. I'm going to try canning for the first time (Does that make me an old lady or uber modern foodie? To be determined.) and I knew that Wal-Mart would have the best variety of canning supplies for the best prices.
Off we went, daring to venture out before the morning nap rather than our usual post-nap time slot. I plotted my way through the store, snagging my goods as quickly as possible while appeasing my feisty little guy with graham crackers. Nevertheless, it was a pretty big grocery trip and it took me a good hour to make it through my list. Creeping uncomfortably close to his morning nap time, Riggins was pretty much at the end of his rope by the time I checked out.
My groceries were scanned, the bags were filled, the cart was overflowing, and I went to pay the cashier. And that's when I realized my wallet was not in the diaper bag. Instantly, I remembered that I had transferred it to a different tote bag for a Sunday afternoon family outing, and had forgotten to move it back into the diaper bag for our grocery trip. (New/Expectant Mother Tip: This is why you have ONE diaper bag/purse that is stylish and practical enough to use for every single thing you do! Less repacking and potential forgetting. Just keep one bag packed at all times and go with it!)
As I looked at my squirmy boy, my full cart of hard-earned groceries, and the line behind me, I felt a lump rise to my throat. I was so embarrassed, and I felt sick at the thought of leaving empty handed after spending so much time at a store 20 minutes from my house. I called Jonathan, but as soon as I told him what was wrong his phone died.
And that's when I thought of my friend Natelie, who lives just blocks away from Wal-Mart. I figured it was worth a try, so I gave her a call and told her about my predicament. Wouldn't you know that girl dropped everything, drove to Wal-Mart with her toddler (Isaac and Riggins are just 3 weeks apart), showed up within 10 minutes, paid for my groceries, and completely saved the day!
Now that is a good friend, y'all.
When you live far from home, it is such a blessing to have dear friends who will do anything for you. And when you're a mom, it's an equal blessing to have someone who is right there in the trenches with you. Someone who can show up at Wal-Mart when you've got coffee spilled down the front of your shirt, an overtired toddler, and no wallet, and somehow make you feel like you're normal again. You both know that you've both been there, and that you'll both be there again sometime soon. So you just take turns being the encourager, and day by day you make it through.
So thanks, Nat, for being the encourager today (and the Sugar Mama! ;) Next time you end up somewhere without your wallet, I'm your girl!

4 comments:
That's a good friend {and one of my biggest nightmares since I am always flipping my debit card from place to place}.
Btw, what are you canning?
Oh geez, I would have cried! So nice to have sweet friends to come and help you--what a blessing!
I totally would have cried! Yay for a sweet friend to save the day!
Now that is a good friend! I have done the same,however, I just left my groceries and tried another day.
Post a Comment