Saturday, October 29, 2011

A Friday Night Funny

My husband is really funny.  He isn't a comedian or jokester type, but he is funny in my favorite kind of way: almost always unintentional, dry, and somewhat sarcastic without ever being rude.  His one-liners come out of nowhere, completely naturally, and they linger on, making me giggle out of nowhere just thinking about it.  

And you might not think he's funny at all.  Maybe that's just what makes him perfect for me :)

Nonetheless, in hopes of giving you a little weekend laugh, I give you the following scene from last night:

Jonathan is in the living room, watching Game Seven of the World Series.  He was rooting for the Rangers, if you must know, largely because he is a Royals fan and henceforth will root against the Cardinals on principle.  Secondly, one of his best buddies is a lifelong Rangers fan living in Thailand for the two years that the Rangers have been in the Series.  In solidarity with his buddy, Rangers it is.  

So that Jonathan could give his full attention to the game, I covered all of the nightly rituals: tidying up the nursery, bath time, dressing for bed, story time, etc.  I decided to pop in a lullaby album that was given to us as a shower gift and had somehow remained in the case until now.  

As I dressed Riggs for bed for bed, I realized that the lullaby CD wasn't exactly my style: instrumental with a synthesized, techno emphasis.  Think Enya and Pure Moods meets Muzak.  It didn't bug me enough to walk across the room and turn it off, so I left it playing.  

With the little man all bedecked in his bedtime glory, he toddled out to say goodnight to Daddy, and I followed.  As small as our little house is, the sounds of the mediocre lullaby CD wafted into the room behind us.  Jonathan snuggled Riggs for a bit, and then up at me and said:

"What are you doing in there?  Putting the boy to bed or running a gift shop?"  

And I'm still laughing about it the next day.  It really did sound like hokey, canned music from a wannabe fine gift shop.  At least if I ever decide to open a shop selling porcelain figurines, button covers, and off-brand bath and body products, I'll know what to pump over the speakers!  


2 comments:

Erin said...

You guys are funny! Glad you got a good laugh together. ;)

Meredith said...

I LOVE this. That kind of humor is my favorite. :)