Saturday, October 15, 2011

October 15th

Although this day is not well publicized,  it is an important day that I want to remember here.  Today is National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day.

I am in a season of life where babies are the big topic.  It seems that everyone in my age group is thinking about starting a family, trying to start a family, having trouble starting a family, pregnant, or in the early stages of parenting.  Every day it seems that I see yet another announcement of a pregnancy on Facebook.  In a recent gathering of women, after yet another one of us announced a pregnancy, someone said, "Who isn't pregnant?"  And it just wrenched my gut because I knew there had to be someone in that room who would give anything to be expecting a child, or holding the child she lost in her arms.

So many women are grieving the loss of a child.  Some of them never got to hear their baby's heartbeat.  Some of them got to hear that sweet sound but never hold their child or see him or her face to face.  Some of them got the precious gift of meeting their child, only to say goodbye far too soon.  Unfortunately, some of my dearest friends have walked these roads in the last few years, and while the pain of losing a child is something that I cannot understand, I have felt their grief and grieved alongside them in some small way.  You feel the excitement of a friend's joy like a sister, and you feel the disappointment and hurt and anger for them too.  

So today, I want to remember those sweet babies, my "nieces and nephews."  I want to remember that in the midst of all the joy, baby fever, and craziness, there friends in our midst who are hurting and aching for the child that they think of every day.  Their children's lives mattered.  They had meaning.  They brought joy to many.  And someday, when I get to meet Jesus, I just might ask him why we had to lose them, because I sure don't understand it.  But until then, I will remember.

If there is someone in your life who has lost a child, I think one of the greatest gifts you can give her is to remember.  So reach out when you can, and let her know that her child's life was significant to you.    

7 comments:

Hammond Bride said...

Thank you for this post sweet friend! I am one of those women that aches for a baby and God doesn't seem to be answering on our time table. It blesses my heart deeply to know someone else recognizes the heart ache that comes with losing a baby - no matter how young they were.

Erin said...

Thoughtful post, friend. Thanks for writing.

Christi said...

Yes, I too have not experienced loss but want to honor and remember those sweet babies. Praying along side you.

Life and Times . . . said...

Such a sweet post. I never ask people when they're going to have a baby or why they haven't had any kids yet. It took me a long time to get pregnant, and it seemed like everyone around me was having babies. I hated that question. I've also had dear friends and family lose babies, some more than once. I often think people don't know what to say, but I think that one of the greatest things you can do for these mothers (and fathers) is just stand beside them and be there for them. Thank you for sharing.

A Nerd and A Free Spirit said...

I am one of those that says "Who isn't pregnant?!" Not because we are trying, but because as much as I am happy for everyone who has babies, as soon as they have a baby they are immediately propelled into a different stage of life, rightly their priorities change, and more often than not, I lose a friend. And it makes me sad. )-:

So I'm happy for everyone, but sometimes I feel like I'm the only person not having a baby.... yet. And it's hard not to think... "Why don't I want a baby right now?" "What's wrong with me?" "When will I want a baby?" "What if I wait too long?". We plan to wait a few more years, but I would be lying if I said those thoughts didn't swirl around in my ole noggin.

It's a bummer when after each Sunday School class I say "Another one bites the dust".

There are several couples in our class who have had trouble conceiving and/or experienced loss, and so we always try to be aware and careful.

Thanks for your post.

~Kathryn

Kiersten said...

Thanks for your sweet post, Leslie. I appreciate you remembering the babies that aren't here with us.

Katie said...

Very thoughtful post, Leslie. Thanks for sharing.