Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas Catchall

  • I had forgotten that I have a sciatic nerve, until yesterday when it said, "Howdy!  Remember me?  Its been a couple years, but I'm baaaaack!"  
  • As a result of the above, my body feels like lead tonight.  Going to force myself to hit up the prenatal yoga DVD before bed in hopes of some relief.  
  • Complaining completed :)
  • Jonathan is flipping through the channels and stopped to watch Justin Bieber performing on a Christmas special.  After a moment, he said, "I don't know why people think this kid isn't talented!"  To fully appreciate this compliment to Bieber of the Fever, you have to know that my hubby is tremendously talented in music and, thus, a bit of a music snob when it comes to pop stars.  But he's right.  If you really listen, Bieber is (in my older and wiser husband's words) a talented kid.  Although I do wish he'd bring back that cute swoopy haircut.  
  • For the past four years, Jonathan and I have celebrated Christmas together with a fondue night at home.  Is there anything better than a big pot of melted cheese?  I think not.  Tonight we feasted on classic Swiss fondue with french bread, sauteed mushrooms, and roasted potatoes.  I love this little tradition of ours, and it was so fun to share it with Riggins this year.  (Who likes to say, "Dip! Dip! Dip!" as he dips his bread in cheese :)
  • Jonathan just wrapped up his last day at this fall externship at the VA.  This means that he has ONE semester left in school!  That, my friends, is insane.  
  • Old Navy's maternity jeggings are fantastic.  
  • All these people kept mentioning homemade Chex Mix on Facebook.  Apparently this is a holiday tradition for some people?  I have never made the original homemade Chex mix, but something about all those references got a craving stuck in my head that I just couldn't shake.  I finally made some today.  I promptly ate a cup of it, straight out of the oven.  And now I'm over it.  Probably should have just bought a bag at the gas station or something.  Oh well.  Come over if you like Chex Mix.  
  • I managed to keep Christmas way simple this year, and while I'm sure I'll pump it up again in the future, it has felt great to keep the holiday focused on the important stuff.  I didn't send out cards, I didn't do any crazy baking or crafting.  Jonathan and I aren't doing gifts for each other, and we stayed on a strict budget for our family members and Riggins.  Just a sweet and simple Christmas at the Poe house.  Lots of Little People Nativity scene, 24/7 Christmas music, and reflection on the beauty of Emmanuel!  (And thoroughly enjoying all the cards and treats that others are sending our way, of course!)
  • And now...off my duff to tidy up and force that duff into a bit of yoga and a bath.  It is way too early in this pregnancy for me to be waddling, so I've got to take some action! :)  

1 comment:

Kaitlin said...

Ouch, that sciatic nerve stuff is painful! Hope it resolves soon (if it doesn't, maybe your Doc can do what my OB did: he actually put me on a massage table & cracked my back in a million places and it went away!) I might have to steal your fondue night tradition...I've had a fondue pot since we got married, but I've never used it. L would love bread dipped in cheese!