Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Rhett's Birth: Part III, Fast and Furious

Warning: I'm not sparing the details, so if you're opposed to reading about childbirth beyond the stork, read no further!  Reading detailed birth stories was a big part of my preparation, so I want to put it all out there in case it is helpful for someone else, and for my own memory.  

We left the house just after 8:00 p.m. and drove to the hospital with the AC on the coolest setting and all vents pointed directly at me.  Apparently I told Jonathan that an air conditioner had never felt so good.  We arrived at the hospital at around 8:15 p.m.  Jonathan parked the car and grabbed my bag, and I sat in the car for a moment to ride out a contraction.  When it passed, we crossed the parking lot, but by the time we hit the sidewalk in front of the hospital I had to stop and hold on to Jonathan when another one hit.  We continued in this way all the way up to labor and delivery: into the hospital, stop in front of the elevators, up the elevator, stop just outside the doors.  Jonathan grabbed my wallet and began to check me in as I leaned up against the wall just outside the elevator, still breathing through more contractions.  When he beckoned me over to the check-in window it was all I could do to cross the room.  

The nurse at reception asked how far apart my contractions were coming.  I said three minutes.  Next to me, Jonathan shook his head.  "One minute, max," he told her.  They walked me straight back to triage.  The nurse left me alone to change into my hospital gown, and I distinctly remember looking at the clock when she shut the door: 8:30 p.m.  Once dressed, I attempted to resume my focus and to find a comfortable position.  I tried sitting on the bed, then leaning forward on it, but each time I changed positions my body instantly alerted me that those positions weren't right.  The only way I was comfortable was standing completely straight, cradling the bottom of my belly with my hands, and rocking side to side.  

The triage nurses came in and began their string of questions.  One of the first was if I wanted an epidural.  It took every ounce of that commitment I had made to say no.  They tested the fluid that continued to run down my legs and confirmed that my water had broken.  At some point after confirming I was not the victim of abuse, they sent for Jonathan.  He later said that he had watched half of "Up All Night" in the waiting room, so he came in around 8:45 p.m.  The nurse checked me for the first time and enthusiastically proclaimed that I was at 8 centimeters.  I was so relieved to know that the intensity of what I was feeling was due to the fact that I had begun the transition stage. 

At this point, Rhett's heart rate began to drop.  They asked me to lay on my left side, and luckily this position felt very comfortable.  I stayed in that exact position until it was time to push about 20 minutes later.  I was completely in the zone: laying on my side, holding the railing at the side of the bed, eyes closed, breathing deeply through each contraction, completely relaxed.  Occasionally, Jonathan would mention a brief reminder to relax a certain area that he could see was tense (usually my jaw from clenching my teeth), or to remind me to breathe deeply from my diaphragm and not from my chest.  Other than that, I had completely tuned out the entire room and was focused on staying as relaxed as possible as each contraction hit.  

At around 9:00 p.m. they wheeled me down the hall to a delivery room.  Only when they asked me to move from the triage gurney to the delivery bed did I move from that focused position on my left side, and I resumed that position immediately.  At this point, things began to move very quickly and to feel very out-of-body.  Looking back, it is fascinating to think about how my body knew exactly what to do, and that because I had stayed relaxed and focused I was able to just surrender to the process.  I probably had two or three more very intense contractions once we were situated in the delivery room.

On the next contraction, I was pushing.  The undeniable urge to push that every natural childbirth resource mentions had hit, and there was no ignoring or resisting.  Still laying on my side, I pushed involuntarily several times during the contraction.  It was such a relief from the pain, and the only thing I can compare it to is when you've had terrible stomach pains and are finally able to go to the bathroom.  Gross, but true.  

The nurse heard me groan as I pushed and urged me to hang on for just a minute.  The doctor was coming from the other hospital and would be there soon.  I had one more contraction, still pushing involuntarily, when the doctor arrived.  She washed her hands, put on her gloves, and sat down at the foot of my bed to check me.  She said that I was almost at a 10 but that she could still feel a rim to my cervix.  She was about to start an IV of fluid and to put an internal monitor on Rhett's head because of his declining heart rate, but first she asked me to get on my hands and knees to see if that helped.  I did as she asked, and the nurse put an oxygen mask on my face.  Just as I assumed the position another contraction began and I pushed again.  

"Are you pushing?" the doctor asked.  "YES!" I said.  She had not been there to notice my previous contractions when I had already been pushing.  "Then flip over!" she said.  I did--flipping off the oxygen mask as I turned--and at this point I heard her say, "Sweetie, you're going to have to open your legs" and Jonathan saying, "Leslie, do what you need to do to push!"

Apparently, I was so disoriented from changing positions so quickly while in pain--and with my eyes closed--that when I flipped over I was sitting with my feet on the bed, knees up, legs glued together, and hands pressed into the bed behind me.  Jonathan said it was only for a split second, but that the doctor and nurse were giggling just a bit.  As soon as I heard Jonathan's voice, I remembered the correct position for pushing in the Bradley method--elbows up and out--and was able to snap back into the moment.  

I pushed three times, and felt three distinct sensations with each push.  On the first push, I felt Rhett crowning and the accompanying "ring of fire" burning.  This had been one of my biggest anxieties of labor: anything with that name has to hurt!  And it did, but it lasted for a split second and was gone.  On the second push, I felt his head emerge completely.  On the third push--the most amazing moment to me--I felt the rest of his body slide out.  

Since my delivery had happened so quickly, there had not been any time for the traditional preparations. No one broke down the bottom of the bed, no one put up the stirrups, no one brought in lights or draping or special gowns for the doctor.  When I finally opened my eyes, I looked down to see Rhett just laying there on the blankets at the foot of the bed, next to my doctor who was sitting on the bed with the nurse.  

They handed him straight to me.  I know many women would much rather have their babies scrubbed down and blanketed up before they hold them for the first time, but with both of my boys that instant of holding their squirmy, slippery, warm little bodies straight from my womb have been the most amazing moments of my life.  Absolutely, indescribably beautiful.  



The surge of adrenaline that followed was amazing.  I felt completely energized and alert, with no pain whatsoever.  All of the resources I had packed for delivery remained in my bag untouched--no labor play list, no massage oil bar.  Had I even wanted an epidural, there would not have been the time.  I had run my marathon and finished well.  No one gave me a trophy, and Rhett won't go around with a tattoo that says "My Mom gave birth to me without drugs."  But for the rest of my life, I will know that I did it, and that's all that I wanted in the first place.


  

17 comments:

Sweet Simplicity said...

I'm so glad you wrote such a detailed post. It was so interesting to read about your experience. The pictures are beautiful!

Christi said...

oh Leslie I'm bawling over here. Such a sweet story. Definitely brought back memories of my births, ring of fire and all, haha! It's amazing how fast things can go and sometimes a blessing. I'm all for holding a squirmy, slimy, warm baby! And Lord willing I'll get that chance :)
Thanks for sharing!
I hope you are adjusting well to your "new normal" with two! It gets easier!

Kiersten said...

What a fantastic story. I am so glad it worked out so well for you! I'm definitely curious about going all natural next time, so this was really inspiring. Hope you're feeling well, getting some rest, and enjoying your two beautiful boys!

Hammond Bride said...

Thank you for your honesty! We're seriously considering a natural childbirth and I need all the encouragement I can get. Since I read your last post I've been squatting instead of bending and it's gotten so much easier! Today I actually got all the way to the floor before I realized what I'd done. I was so proud of myself. :) Thank you for the encouragement!!!

Kaitlin said...

I am seriously in awe right now. What an amazing birth story! I, obviously, had to do things very differently (which I grieved about a little) but what a deeply initimate experience you have to remember for the rest of your life. Congratulations, again!

keely said...

Fantastic. I loved reading this, found myself nodding along with SO MUCH of what you wrote, and am so thankful that you had a good birth experience. Praise God for a healthy momma and a healthy boy.

Erin said...

Good lordy, that WAS fast! Wow! Perhaps God was going before this birth by prompting the desire for natural childbirth in your mind way beforehand...because He knew it would be natural whether you wanted it that way or not--ha! That way, in the end, you accomplished your goal, felt prepared and ready for the fast labor and delivery, and now...what a story to tell. Rhett was ready to make his grand entrance, meds or no meds! I was just saying to Russell the other night that BOTH of your birth stories could be movies--getting pulled over by the cops, and then your water breaking while working out. Amazing! ;)

A Nerd and A Free Spirit said...

Wow. what a great story! What was the actual time he was born?

I'm thinking I may try natural on my second or third child... I'm a little too nervous to try that on my first. My mom, aunt, and grandmother's labors were all very fast, so I think mine may be too.. My mom's were 6, 4, and 2 hours long, respectively. YIKES! We'll see i guess!

THank you so much for sharing. What a blessing!!!

~Kathryn

PS, I've been checking your blog regularly for the third update! I was so excited to see you had posted it! (-:

Emma said...

I've been looking forward to this post! I'm not pregnant, but I absolutely love reading birth stories. Natural birth is so amazing/intriguing and I would love if I am able to have a baby naturally one day. The "ring of fire" makes me very nervous, though! Some women have the mentality that if they have a natural birth, they'll be "super-women" and "better" than other moms; they use their experience as a way to judge other mothers. I love that that was not the reason you decided on natural child birth! It was your race that you wanted to run a certain way... and your accomplished what you desired to accomplish! Just like every other mama runs her own unique race when delivering, whether it be natural, epidural, or c-section! Thank you for posting this!!

mckenziegordon said...

What a GREAT play by play! Thanks for allowing all of us to read along. I was totally entranced. Way to go Momma!!! I can't imagine. Really. Wow!

Haley Nicodemus said...

Thanks for sharing your incredible story! I've loved all the details and pictures. You definitely have a beautiful birth story!!

Auburn said...

You WERE born to do it! :) Beautiful story, and you'll be so happy to have all the details written down.

Meredith said...

I enjoyed every word of the birth story posts. Ok, maybe not every word, "ring of fire" is downright terrifying. I'm so proud you for not only accomplishing your goal but far exceeding even your greatest expectations. You are amazing and I can't wait to meet Rhett!

Katie said...

Yay! I loved reading this. I'm glad everything happened so quickly--you're a champ!! Congrats again on your little cutie!

Claire said...

I shuttered a bit at "ring of fire," remembering EXACTLY what that felt like with Duke. Whew! There are no perfect words to describe natural childbirth ... and 6 months later, I feel like I'm still gathering all my thoughts about it. I'm so glad this was a success for you and that it was so fast! (I'm baby #2 will be faster for me. :)) Way to go!

BillandCristin said...

What an amazing story! I loved it. My epidural wore off with Eli, but I was no where near ready to experience the pain that accompanied his delivery! But, even that was very gratifying, so I understand your feelings... I'm proud of you! :) Ours are a few weeks apart again, so I look forward to continuing to read your blog!

Dara Steward said...

Just now reading this post and I love it! I have given birth naturally to three, and all very different and equally meaningful and satisfying. You are so great with words and express what I could not to skeptical onlookers who can't imagine why I would not request an epidural. And I so agree that bringing your child into this world is a personal thing and I have respect for every mother who follows her heart and soaks in the moment no matter what level of pain management she chooses. For me, I loved the way I chose. And my second came so quickly too! He is beautiful, Leslie, and you will have twice the fun with two brothers!