This little booger started Mother's Day Out today! I have always thought that Mother's Day Out was kind of silly for the average stay-at-home mom. I mean, isn't it my job to stay home and take care of him? Why pay someone to watch him two days a week if that's what I'm supposed to be doing? But then, I had this little two year old boy who loves to go and do and be with people. (Those of you who know me well are rolling your eyes and saying, "Wonder who he got that from?")
Once our BSF and MOPS activities ended for the summer, this little guy enjoyed a few days of fun at home before peppering me with "Bye Bye?" relentlessly if we hadn't left the house by 10 a.m. This kid likes his routines and he likes his people, and sometimes Mama just ain't enough people. I really struggled with the idea of sending him, but after considering his personality and his needs at this point in life, I decided to give it a try. If anything, it would also give me a bit of one-on-one time with Rhett. So ironically, sending my child to MDO has nothing to do with me getting a day off!
I looked into MDO and was pleasantly surprised to find that it is way cheaper here in OKC than it was in Memphis (as is Blue Bell ice cream--praise the Lord--but that's another post). That sealed the deal. I got him enrolled, paid the deposit, and even bought a cute little tupperware lunch set and sandwich thins that are cut to look like Goldfish...I know, I'm a sucker. Packing his lunch the night before made me feel like a real mom (as though the spit up on my shoulder and newfound stretch mark on my tummy weren't enough!).
He went happily into his class when I dropped him off, and I enjoyed a day of laundry, cleaning, snuggling with Rhett, and meeting friends for lunch before heading back to pick him up at three. It was lovely, but I did miss my boy and was anxious to hear how his first day went.
Apparently, he staged a nap time rebellion. I should have known it would happen, considering he has never slept in a bed that he can get out of, much less in a room full of other kids! His teacher told me (with a very serious look on her face) that not only did he not sleep a wink, he was also loud and refused to be quiet, thus waking the other children. Awesome.
I was slightly mortified, but had to remind myself that it was his first day and that surely he'll get the hang of it after a little while. Luckily, they said that he did great with everything else! As long as that's the case, I'm fine with him not sleeping, but I'd hate to be an MDO delinquent and get kicked out for nap time shenanigans!
Any brilliant suggestions for teaching a two-year old boy how to stay in one place and be quiet, or maybe even sleep?

9 comments:
Packing a lunch box IS fun! I've only done it a few times, but I agree that it's totally fun from start to finish. :)
Too funny! I have no genius advice to give, but he'll get the hang of it! L was the chatterbox when she was first moved to the toddler room and cots, but she eventually decided to give it a try. Hope things in OKC are going well and that you guys are getting adjusted!
Personally I LOVE that he staged a naptime rebellion. Proud of that kid. :) Also, I'm disappointed she even mentioned it to you on DAY 1. Of course it's going to take time for him to adjust! Obviously I have no advice but perhaps you can ask my mom--apparently I was the best napper in the class when I was little. How's that for bragging rights? :)
MS never did this year. They just started moving her to another room because she was so disruptive singing Twinkle Twinkle and ABC's to loudly while the other's slept.
I love reading your blog! :) I'm a new reader and began following right when you had Rhett. We had our second daughter naturally, so I LOVE hearing about other birth stories. We also just moved from Edmond down to Corpus Christi and I am big time homesick for OKC. You are lucky, lucky!!! Our oldest daughter, Meggie, loves MDO but will not take a nap while she's there. She also got similar comments from her teachers - about not staying put and being super disruptive. Her teachers finally moved a pack-and-play in the room for her - she still didn't take a nap, but at least she was somewhat more contained and occupied with some books to read in there. Maybe that would help for your guy, too?
I don't have little ones, but I know i'm going to be a big fan of Mother's Day out. I still haven't settled whether I will stay home or work part time, but if I do stay home, I think mother's day out is going to on the priority for my sanity and like you, for my kid getting to socialize and also, to learn how to do certain things in groups (share!) and to prep for school. Plus, yes, in OK it's very reasonable. I think it's a win win. Sounds like he did great. I don't blame him - why sleep when you can have fun!? (-:
~Kathryn
What a cute rebel. ;) Glad you found something for him to try out!
He's so cute! I'm guessing naptime rebellion is normal, especially in those first few days! I'm glad he did so well the rest of the time!
Glad Riggs is getting to socialize with his new OK people. I'm surprised the teacher gave any kind of look to you about such a normal response of a toddler adjusting. He'll get the hang of it and fall into the routine because that's what he does- follow routines, just not theirs yet because it is new. Also my inner diva just has to say- you are paying them, let it be their problem to figure out not yours; Riggs is not the first non-napping child nor will he be the last at their MDO program. :) Lyndsy
Post a Comment