I broke our coffee pot on Saturday. It wasn't a fancy coffee pot. Just a basic Krups, but it was a wedding gift so I felt sad and sentimental as I swept the broken carafe into the dustpan.
For a plain jane coffee pot, it brewed a good cup. In our first little house, our neighbor was a coffee roaster. He would knock on our door with a freshly roasted bag of beans, and we would grind them up on Saturday mornings and laze around the way childless newlyweds do.
In Waco, we were introduced to HEB and the delicious Taste of San Antonio blend. I would brew a pot before study sessions, and when our community group met in our home I always added a smidge of brown sugar and cinnamon to the grounds. In Shawnee, one pot fueled both Jonathan's duels with his organic chemistry textbook in one room and my giggle-filled RA meetings in the other.
After Riggins was born, I quickly realized that he could not tolerate any caffeine in my system when nursing. I still brewed a pot of decaf each morning, hoping that a placebo effect would give me the energy I was so greatly lacking as a sleep deprived new mother.
Rhett can handle a bit of caffeine himself, but with two children came a new problem. What was a leisurely morning nap hour with one child--perfect for a cup of coffee and quiet time--is now just another hour with a toddler. The pot I brewed in desperation after a night of being up with the baby always seemed to sit untouched in the carafe. I finally began the habit of brewing a big pot all at once and sticking the entire thing in the fridge, thus beginning my latest addiction to iced coffee.
I just finished searching for a replacement carafe online and they are no longer in production, so it's time to purchase a new coffee maker altogether. It is a little ridiculous to be sad about the demise of a small appliance, but it is kind of nostalgic to say goodbye to something that has provided something hot to hold through many sweet moments of our marriage. I suppose I should just be thankful that our marriage has outlasted the coffee pot. In this day and age, that isn't always the case!
(In other news, apparently eight years is the time limit for many wedding gifts, as both of our sets of sheets--now threadbare--have gaping rips as of this week. The nonstick finish has started to wear off of my skillets, and I no longer have a full set of matching glasses. Anyone want to throw us another shower?)
5 comments:
I hear ya! Especially with coffee pots, they are just sentimental items. My krups I bought when I became an RA to brew for my girls on the hall, I finally parted with on this last move to VA because we didn't need three. Yes, 3. We have a Mr. Coffee that was left behind in an AR hall that brews 12 cups wonderfully. Then we also have a thermos insulated one that is Cusinart for when we are hosting and usually have both pots going, but this one to keep things hot. Good luck in your search!
you're so right!! we've been married almost 9 years and we've had to replace our vac, toaster, & microwave all within the last year or so!
We've been married almost 8 and we just had to replace cookware because it was sticking so bad and bought new sheets not to long ago either. I guess getting almost 7 years out of it all was good. And to put a Pampered chef plug in: cookware is 60% off next month if you host a patty, you can do a catalog one. I started selling pampered chef pretty much because we needed new cookware. They have a new cookware line coming out that is white ceramic. If you are interested let me know. Sorry for the shameless plug :)
Mmmmm we love the San Antonio blend. When my old roommate, Sarah, came to LA for my wedding, she brought 3 packages in her carry on luggage for me! LOL.
We have a Cuisinart coffee pot that we LOVE! it has an insulated carafe - which is great because it keeps the coffee hot but not cooking for HOURS and it has a timer (my fave feature) so that we can grind and set up the coffee night before and there is coffee ready to drink when the alarm goes off.
It seems like year number 7 or 8 is the end of the road for some of our wedding gifts, too! Bummer. Glad your coffee pot was around through all of those big transitions. Good post.
Post a Comment