Friday, February 1, 2013

It Has Its Perks


Remember how I broke our coffee pot a few months ago?  We puttered through the fall with our French press and an extra drip machine borrowed from my parents, but this Christmas a new love entered our lives and I don't know that I'll ever look back.  

After lots of research and review-reading, we decided to try out the Presto Percolator.  The reviews online were outstanding and pointed to everything we want in a coffee machine: tasty, strong, hot coffee.  Mama Dot always used a percolator and her coffee was always delicious (or perhaps that was just the biscuits and mayhaw jelly alongside that made it so good?); Jonathan has fond memories connected to the bubbling sound of coffee perking.  And at only around $40, the price is hard to beat!  (Although my parents ended up giving it to us as a Christmas gift.  Thanks, mom and dad!)  

People.  This little pot.  Oh, how I love it.  There is just something so soothing about the ritual of filling the basket, hearing the water bubbling through the grounds, and pouring a cup from the stainless steel carafe.  I find myself using my great-grandmother's china cup and saucer just because the combination of the retro pot and the vintage cup brings a bit of everyday beauty to my life.  The assembly and prep are a bit different than a drip machine, but no more complicated once you've made your first pot.  You can make between two and twelve cups.  I typically do four, which makes two large mugs of coffee for me to enjoy throughout the morning at home.    

And the coffee!  It is truly the best home-brewed cup I've ever had.  Better than my French press (I know, I know, the coffee aficionados out there are writhing in anguish that I would dismiss the beloved French press).  The percolator produces a full-bodied, rich, HOT cup.  Looking back, I could take a swig of coffee from my old drip machine as soon as I poured a cup; I was always nuking it to keep it warm.  I love that the percolator gets it hot enough to linger over for a bit, and if I am taking it on the go it stays hot in a travel mug for hours!  (Someday I'll write about my beloved travel mug too.)  

So come on over and I'll put on a pot!  I might even let you use my special cup and saucer.  If you're in the market for a new coffee maker, the Presto Percolator is where it's at!  

5 comments:

Leslie J said...

I feel you on the temperature thing! I feel like my coffee is lukewarm straight after being brewed in my drip machine. Such a hassle.

I love love love this solution! How is it to clean?

Leslie said...

Les, it's super easy! All the internal parts are stainless so everything can be washed in hot, soapy water! I just rinse everything between pots during the week and then actually wash it all every few pots.

keely said...

I AM in the market for something new, for the exact same reason- it doesn't brew hot enough!

And I want to take you up on that cup in person...WHEN?!

Erin said...

Does it pour out caramel mochas?? If so, I'd gladly come over for a cup. I'm weak sauce when it comes to coffee. Pass the sugar, please! ;)

Confessions said...

oh, how i wish i could come over for a cup!! memphis misses you dearly!