Wouldn't you know that the evening I posted the previous commentary on making time for the things I love, it got put into action! It never ceases to amaze me that when I follow God's little nudges to obedience in my life, He is faithful to bless me and give me one of those, "Oh! I see what you're getting at, Lord! Thanks!" moments.
I wrote that post in the afternoon before leaving work, and as I drove home I started planning out that evening's dinner in my head. Knowing that I had to be at Bible Study at 7, I was trying to make a mental assessment of my fridge while taking into consideration my limited amount of time.
Wouldn't you know that as soon as I walked in the door, the "I've been working all day" zombie kicked in and all I wanted to do was lay on the couch and watch Oprah. Which is not bad. But I've been around the block a time or two and know better than to think that laying on the couch actually leaves me feeling energized for the night.
That couch is quicksand. One sit and I'm sucked into a television-induced oblivion for the rest of the night, only to snap out of my daze at 10 p.m. realizing that my entire evening was a waste.
Resist! Flee! Be gone from me, quicksand couch!
So I let the dog out, took a deep breath of springtime air, threw on my cutest lime green floral print apron, and got to work.
The Mister came home and inquired about the yumminess I was conjuring up in the kitchen. (And did I mention that I was wearing my new royal blue maxi-dress? With the apron. Uber-domestic, no?). I think he was referring to Greek yogurt chicken and feta pasta salad, but I'm pretty sure some of that yumminess was me in my new dress. Just sayin'.
"Do you think there is enough for one more?" he asked. "We've got a meeting back at the school at 7 p.m. and I know that one of the guys who lives far away was just hanging out at the school until then. Mind if he joins us?"
Hold up.
Let's just say that this scenario took place before my little bout of self-awareness last weekend. Let's just say that I had fallen into the quicksand couch and Oprah stupor. Let's just say that I had opted for a dinner of Lucky Charms and chips and salsa (which happens more than I like to admit). Had that happened, Jonathan never would have suggested opening our home to a total stranger (to me) and had he the guts to do so I would have either laughed in his face or looked at him from my slothful state on the couch like he was a moron for being willing to show our disgustingness to this total stranger.
But instead, dinner was cooking, the house was decent enough for boy company (Yes, I am being stereotypical, but you all know what I mean. Boy company requires different levels of cleanliness compared to girl company), and I smiled genuinely at my husband and said, "That's a great idea!"
So in the two-hour lull between work and bible study, we managed to entertain. We managed to open our home and minister to someone who otherwise would have had a Whopper by himself in the anatomy lab (which is in no way a completely unfortunate scenerio so long as there are fries involved). And I left that meal more energized than Oprah, Dr. Oz, and Bob Green combined.
All that to say, I am learning that when I am faithful to follow through on the little lessons that God brings into my life, He is faithful to use that obedience to glorify Himself and to bring me more in line with how he created me to be. (Have I mentioned that hospitality is always my top spiritual gift on those little tests?).
In conclusion:
Sane, Productive Leslie = A Leslie Who is Ready and Able to Bless Others = A Leslie Who is More Fulfilled and Joyful = A Leslie Who Glorifies God
Hmmm...
Oh, and the dinner was yummy too.
GREEK YOGURT CHICKEN
This was a staple in my house growing up and is still one of my favorites.
1/2 c. yogurt
1 T. vinegar
1 T. olive oil
1 t. oregano
1 green onion, sliced thin
salt and pepper to taste
4 chicken breasts
Mix the yogurt, vinegar, oil, oregano, onion, and S&P together in a bowl. Add the chicken breasts, tossing in the mixture to coat. Stab the chicken with a fork all over, allowing the yogurt mixture to seep into the chicken. Set aside and let the chicken marinade for 20 minutes. Preheat broiler to high. Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet and broil on one side for 4 minutes. Flip, baste with remaining yogurt mixture, and broil another 5 minutes or until cooked through.
I served this with penne pasta tossed with a vinaigrette, feta cheese, quartered grape tomatoes, fresh spinach, and fresh parsley. It is also great with couscous. And chocolate chip cookies for dessert, of course (have I mentioned numerous benefit of having homemade cookie dough in the freezer at all times? Future post alert!)
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
i like you.
what a great lesson!
Fantastic post. You're a great writer, my friend. :)
Thanks for sharing this. It's great to hear about when someone is patient, or obedient, and gives it all to God and then is blessed from doing so.
hey leslie- found your blog and love reading it! something i've noticed in your blog is that you often refer to what you are wearing when the event or situation occurs. i love it! plus, it totally updates the late 90s leslie i remember with a total chic new millenia leslie. :) sounds like you've got a great wardrobe!
Great hearing your voice today! I miss you! I also love stalking you on here and reading about your life, just saying!
Also, my word verification to post this comment is "takies" ...weird.
Great post! I struggle with the couch issue every day! I'm not that great at avoiding. I need to work on that. haha!
That chicken sounds yummy. I added it to my faves to print out later.
Post a Comment