Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Attack of the Killer Dishwasher

Little Weber Poe received the fright of her life this morning.

I sure wish I had a picture or--even better--a video. Mainly because I would totally win the jackpot on America's Funniest Home Videos. But I will do my best to describe the hilarious start to our morning.

I'm sitting on the couch in the living room, enjoying my oatmeal and the Today Show. Jonathan is in the kitchen putting a few things into the dishwasher. Weber has always had an affinity for the dishwasher, perhaps due to her hunting nose. I'm sure the myriad smells going on in there are just too much for her to bear, and she just can't resist sniffing around (and I'm sure sneaking the occasional lick) as we load the dishwasher. This morning was no exception, and she stood to the side of the dishwasher sniffing away as Jonathan took care of the chore.

The following incident occurred in a matter of 30 seconds, but I will attempt to slow-motion it for you: Suddenly, Weber stood straight up with a shocked look on her face. In a split second, Jonathan realized that the ring of her collar had hooked onto the bottom shelf of the dishwasher! Realizing she was stuck, Weber took a big hop backward to unhook herself, but the weight of her 60 pound body took the whole bottom shelf of the dishwasher with her, dishes and all!

Weber panicked and kept running into the living room, dishwasher shelf trailing behind her, rocking back and forth and spilling silverware and dishes (lots of unbreakable Pyrex, thank goodness!) all over the tile floor of the kitchen. You can only imagine the NOISE that is resulting from this: silverware clanging, paws pounding, Jonathan yelling, dishes crashing, dishwasher shelf banging. It was chaos!

Finally Jonathan stopped her, removed her collar from the dishwasher tray, and sent a shaking, terrifed puppy scampering off down the hall. He found her hiding in the hallway, every muscle shaking like a leaf! Neither of us had ever seen the poor little girl so scared.

Then, Jonathan returned to the kitchen to clean up the mess and Weber followed. At this point, the whole bottom level of the dishwasher is sitting in the middle of the living room, surrounded by dishes and silverware. As Weber approached it, she crouched down into full point, trembling with anxiety, and army-crawled up to the dishwasher tray. When she got close enough to smell it she would hop back in nervousness, and jump around a bit, only to return to her crouched army crawl to creep back again. I was sitting on the couch laughing so hard I was crying.

When Jonathan finally got the mess cleared, he brought Weber through the kitchen to take her out back. That girl looked back over her shoulder at the dishwasher the entire way through! In her little doggie mind, I think she thought that she snuck one lick too many and that dishwasher finally decided to let her have it!

And then, as any of us would like to do when the morning gets off to a rough start, she went back to bed.

Poor little Puppa.

8 comments:

A Nerd and A Free Spirit said...

OH! Poor Weber! How terrifying!!! That's so cute though. Dogs are so wonderful and entertaining. I'm glad she's okay and I hope not too many things broke!

~Kathryn

Christi said...

oh poor girl. but too funny!!

Sweet Simplicity said...

I wish you would have gotten that on video too! Poor girl!

Meredith said...

Oh Weber. HAHA! Loved it.

Hammond Bride said...

Too funny! I love it! I can't wait to see if she recovers from her fear and sniffs again...

danielle said...

how funny!!!

Michelle said...

haha, so funny! wish you had a video, that would be amazing!

emily said...

i love this story. i told it at lunch at school today actually, and everyone else loved it too! :) and i also love you guys and baby poe! so excited we can talk about it now!