We had been told that it would be difficult. There was really no way to know for sure, but more than likely a past medical issue could make the process of conceiving a child a long one. We braced ourselves for the long haul and mentally prepared ourselves for the fact that having a baby might not be easy.
When our five-year anniversary and Jonathan's 30th birthday rolled around this past summer, it also marked the point when a baby would be born after Jonathan had wrapped up his second year of optometry school. In his program, the first two years are very coursework-intensive and require long hours of late-night and early-morning studying. The third and fourth years, however, are primarily based in the clinic and on studying for board exams, both of which allow for more of an 8 to 5, "normal" schedule. We knew that even though we would be blessed to have a child at any time in this point in our marriage, it would definitely be more practical for us to wait until halfway through optometry school.
So here we are, in the stereotypically well-planned-out window for having a baby, still knowing that things would probably take awhile. We figured that we might as well begin the process now rather than waiting and starting the long process later, if that makes sense. We embarked on our New England/Canada adventure and planned to just enjoy the trip for what it was: a family reunion, quality time with friends, an adventurous getaway, Jonathan's only summer off of school, a break before the grind of another school year began for me. No pressure. No expectations. Just vacation.
Well, folks, let's just say that medical advice was...well...inaccurate. Because a couple of weeks after returning home from vacation we realized that we had brought home the best souvenir ever.
And if our child someday developes an affinity for poutine, creme de cassis, Roots clothing, smoked salmon, cold mountain air, the French language, and real maple syrup we will know why.
Oh, Canada. ;)
At this point I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the fact that we realize what an absolute gift it is to have received this blessing so quickly. We have walked the road of infertility and loss with some of our closest friends and realize that things are not always this easy. As such, we are humbled and awed at the miracle of creation and give credit only to God for this blessing. He gives and takes away, blessed be His name. We appreciate your prayers for a healthy pregnancy and delivery, and at the same time ask you to remember your friends who are struggling to conceive or grieving the loss of a child.
Friday, October 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
Congratulations Leslie! I'm so happy for you guys!
I really like that you added that paragraph at the end. It was very thoughtful and eloquent.
I am so happy for you guys! And I, too, appreciate your last paragraph. I've had people I know bemoan when they don't get pregnant after the first round of "trying" and then suddenly get pregnant soon thereafter, and wipe their brow and release a huge breath as if they were SO WORRIED they might never conceive. After having a miscarriage, attitudes like that just make me cringe a little. People simply do not know what it is like! Your last paragraph is extremely thoughtful!!
Congratulations Leslie!! You will be a wonderful mother, not to mention a very cute one. Hope everything is going well so far! Your last paragraph was very thoughtful- God works in very mysterious ways and little miracles such as these remind us that He is ultimately in control.
Very well written post. Congratulations! I'll be praying :)
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I can't wait to hear about the whole journey as it comes.
A lurker with a capital L here. I want to say thank you for your last paragraph as well. It is important for me to rejoice when my friends are rejoicing (which many of them are right now!), and it is so meaningful when they remember the thing you acknowledged and can weep along with me. It creates a balance and is the stuff that friendships are made for.
I'm rejoicing for you.
I am so stinkin excited I almost peed my pants!!!! I could just squeel right now, only the boys are asleep. Let me tell you I will be praying for you every day! You can coun't on it. Lord, let this be a wonderfully easy pregnancy. My your Soverign Hand be over Leslie's womb. We thank you for your Grace and faithfulness. I love you Leslie!!!
I am so excited for you!! You are going to be so cute pregnant! Praise the Lord!!
Jen Grady
Congratulations! When are you due?? I'm guessing Mayish?? May you have an easy pregnancy and a safe delivery! What a blessing!!!
If someone wanted to mail you a gift, where might we mail it to??
congratulations guys :) when do we find out if you get pink or blue presents??
What a great little post! Congrats again!
Congrats Leslie!! you will be an amazing mom and I'm sure your baby will be adorable and super stylish:)
Yay, it's time to tell the world!! What a fun time for you guys. Great souvenir!! Can't wait to watch and hear about your journey, friend! :)
Carsyn is a Souvenir as well! I mean do the Math! Haha! We were in Napa celebrating New Years! No wonder the girl loves cheese and walks around saying cheese cheese cheese all the time! haha! I hope she doesn't pick up on the wine part though, oops!
Post a Comment