There are lots of perks to working with college students. I am always in-the-know on the latest pop and rap stars, the biggest Top 40 hits, and the latest trends in fashion. I find out where great sales are happening at the cute local boutiques that the sorority women frequent, and I hear about the best deals on great food from the sorority men.
One of my favorite perks is keeping up with the latest slang. It is easy to notice new words as you hear them day-to-day, but when you spend a month working morning 'til night with students you really start to notice the trends in popular vernacular.
Allow me to share a few of the latest slang trends on campus...
Bobo: Not to be confused with a toddler-friendly term referencing a bottom, behind, or buttocks, bobo refers to something that is not legitimate, not as good, or a fake. For example, when the fraternity men thought they were buying Chick Fil A chicken biscuits from the Tiger Den, they realized that they were Aramark chicken biscuits instead. Thus, they returned declaring that they were "bobo chicken biscuits," or "those chicken biscuits were bobo."
Skeezer: Ladies, this is not a compliment. Skeezer is a term describing a woman who makes her way through a fraternity house...if you know what I mean. Enough said. It is words like this that make an ole Greek Advisor think twice before asking, "What does that mean???" Sometimes you just don't want to know!
Fail: Now this one is self-explanatory, but with fail it is all about the delivery. For example, one fraternity man tells a bad joke to the rest of the bunch. Another man will respond, "Fail." but in a deadpan, somewhat exasperated tone, often accompanied by an eyeroll. This can also be used following an embarassing moment, a mistake, or anything else that someone has screwed up. If it was really bad... "Epic Fail."
So there you have it. Just a few of the latest word fads to cross my path. Use them in a sentence today. Actually...scratch that. I really hope you don't ever have to use the word skeezer in your adult, non-fraternity house visiting life. If that is ever necessary in your world...well....
FAIL.
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
ha. that's funny. Licoln calls our dogs "Bobo's". Guess we're REALLY old, huh?
One of my high school students used the term "bobo" in a conversation with me today, ha!
Something about her math class was real bobo...but she told me she misses my BCIS class, so its all good!:)
Great blog as usual!! :)
Ha! This is great! :) I actually do use "fail" and "epic fail" quite often. Will have to throw out a "skeezer" here and there tomorrow at work. :)
ok, i can't let this post pass by without asking: have you been to failblog.com? hilarious! sometimes vulgar, but so funny. (the "fail" reminded me of it. i think maybe that's where it originated.) also, peopleofwalmart.com. i laughed so hard i cried while looking at it the other night. check them out sometime when you're bored at work, or maybe need a laugh. let's hang out sometime soon! miss ya!
Last weekend was Chapel Walk (fraternity rush) at my college. We went back with a group of alumni. The term 'silly dick' was used a lot. A song was even written this week by an alumni.
PS. Urbandictionary.com any phrase you hear. They even use the word in sentence!
I'm so out of the loop. Thanks for enlightening us!
This blog is bobo. Wait, did I not use that right? I have definitely never heard those first two.
that's awesome. I think i might have to integrate "fail" into my vocab. I love using new hip terms. ha.
~Kathryn
Post a Comment