Thursday, April 1, 2010

Another Year, Another Prank

Apparently Riggs has a sense of humor already.

Guess who started up the good ole Braxton Hicks contractions this morning?

Very funny, kid.

For those of you who know us well, you might remember that Jonathan and I LOVE April Fools Day. Antics of past years include stolen cars and rubber snakes and toilets.

This year, we decided that Jonathan shouldn't risk scaring me, and that it was completely out of line for me to scare him by faking labor or something like that.

But apparently Riggins was not in on that little agreement and decided to prank his mama with a few little contractions through the morning. I guess now that we are at 35 weeks that is going to become more common, but it definitely took me by surprise!

Just out of curiosity, I'd love to hear from some of you moms about what your Braxton Hicks contractions felt like versus what your actual contractions felt like. Comment away, please!!!

And rest assured that I did get in a prank or two today. My coworkers and I typically bring our lunches and enjoy "Lunch Bunch" around the conference table. We were having a particularly good time today, and our boss popped his head in and commented on how thankful he is that our staff gets along so well.

As soon as he left, I made the comment that it would be funny to twist his comment around into an April Fools joke by staging a bit inter-office drama. After a bit of brainstorming, we worked up a little soap opera that included a bit of door slamming, stomping out of the office, whispered conversations, and loud comments like "I'm SO SICK of this drama!" and "Man, so much for us all getting along!" It was Academy Award worthy, and worked like a charm.

We might have also turned every item upside-down in the office of a colleague who made the horrible mistake of taking April 1 off.

Yep...also my idea. (Insert evil laughter here).

10 comments:

Hammond Bride said...

I've never had a baby, so I can't comment on the Braxton Hicks contractions, but I think it's hilarious that you had them today of all days! I love it!

William, Megan and Avery said...

Hilarious! I love a good prank!

My Braxton Hicks contractions made my belly tight and were uncomfortable, but not painful (some times in the slightish crampy way), per say. I also felt them higher up in my belly and they were short and really irregular (close together for 10-15 minutes, then none for a while).

The real thing? The tightness was more intense and I felt it over my whole belly. Each one also lasts a lot longer (over a minute sometimes)and are more regular. I found the big difference was with the Braxton Hicks contractions I was able to keep walking or talking during them, while the "real" contractions stopped me in my tracks or made me want to hold my breath...

Don't sweat it! If you don't know whether or not they're labor contractions, then they probably aren't :D

danielle said...

braxton hicks and real contractions... TOTALLY different for me. braxton hicks my whole belly tightened. but did not hurt at all (just tightening). my real contractions started in my back. and they were uncomfortable. i dont want to say they HURT right away.. but i totally knew it was different than braxton hicks. (but i still didnt think it was for real until i got to the hospital and they told me that i was in labor.) but dont worry.. you will be able to tell a difference! HOW EXCITING!

Sweet Simplicity said...

Oh my goodness, I love the last prank. It is so funny. I would pay to see his reaction in the morning when he walks into his office. hahaha.

Erin said...

Same here. Braxton Hicks were just a tightening of my whole belly (felt like it had morphed into a basketball, and if I bent down or twisted just right, it felt like that basketball was breaking off a few ribs!). The 'real' contractions made me want to hold my breath, and it was very hard to talk through them, even the first stages of real contractions. By the drive to the hospital, I was screaming through them...so...yeah...those were the real deal! Ha! I hated when everyone said "you'll just KNOW the difference"...but you will. Braxton Hicks are good practice though!

Whitney said...

Leslie, you're my kind of woman. From one fellow prankster to another, a round of applause.

Whitney said...

Oh, and when I had Braxton Hix, I drank a TON of water and they went away. It's what my Dr said to do so I did, but yeah, they're freaky.

danielle said...

another thing that my doctor said (because i had alot of braxton hicks at night) was to go back to sleep and if they were the real thing, i would definitely wake back up. :)

Christi said...

so two days before i had sean i was having what felt like cramps, every five to ten minutes.I was sure they were false contractions. But they didn't go away and i went into the doc a few hours later and i was at 3cm, she sent me straight to L & D. they stopped the labor for a bit but apparently i had already begun the process. Anyway, my point is not to scare but to inform.. ya know...go with your instincts. if you think somethings not right get it checked out.
Oh and I didn't feel real contractions until after they broke my water...and that was only for about thirty min. I agree with the other gals. Real contractions are more all over, less cramp like.
So excited for you guys. He'll be here so soon!

The Grady Family said...

My braxton hicks felt like everyone has said but mine sometimes lasted for several minutes. But when labor started it was much lower and started in my back but I could still walk and talk easily up until they broke my water. So if they are different and regular thats when to call your doc. Can't wait to see pics of him!