Well, kid, here we are at 37 weeks! That means that you are full-term and ready to make your entrance at any time. It is so surreal to know that we are just a few short weeks, give or take, away from meeting you! I remember bracing myself for this whole pregnancy experience to creep by slowly, but now I am just amazed at how quickly it has flown. Through it all, our love for you and our excitement over your arrival has just multiplied, and we can hardly wait to bring you into the world, into our lives, into our home.
The latest news is that I have officially decided to stay home with you full-time. In one sense this decision was a no-brainer: I can't imagine not spending every bit of my time with you , and I am so excited to begin this new chapter of my life. I have so many dreams about all the fun that you and I are going to have together, and I can't wait to have a front-row seat as you grow and learn and become who you were created to be.
In another sense, it has been a bittersweet process of coming to the place where I am ready to say goodbye to my career for a time. Riggs, I have been so very blessed to have a job that I love and a distinct calling to something that I believe God created me to do. I pray that you will grow to find a calling and vocation that energizes and fulfills you, and in which you can make a profound impact for the Kingdom of God. One of my goals as your mother is to find a way to continue in my calling, even though I am no longer working with college students as a professional vocation. Becoming your mother changes God's call to ministry in my life, but it does not eliminate it. I know that I will be a better mother to you if I can find a way to remain actively involved in the lives of college students. I'm not sure what that looks like just yet, but I am excited to find out.
Your nursery is complete, and we find ourselves spending a lot of time there just laying on the plush rug or sitting in the rocker, talking about our day as Weber sprawls out on the floor chewing a bone. Your room is particularly perfect in the morning when the light pours into the three tall windows and the breeze makes your sailboat mobile spin lazily overhead. The space is open, airy, and peaceful, but still very "boy." I love it. Your dad assembled the cradle that was a gift from my parents, and it is waiting for you in our room. It is such a sweet reminder that you are on your way. We have been given everything we could possibly need to prepare for your arrival and have been so blessed by the generosity of our friends and family. They are all so excited to meet you!
Our weekly doctor's appointments are showing steady progress, although I am forcing myself to let those measurements go in one ear and out the other! Riggs, some of my friends might want to shoot me for saying this, but....I feel fantastic. I sleep soundly through the night, have zero swelling, minimal aches and pains, and couldn't even tell you what heartburn feels like. It seems as though it is a prenatal obligation to be absolutely miserable in these last few weeks, and I definitely realize that I could wake up tomorrow and feel absolutely horrid. But believe me, I realize how lucky I am and am counting my blessings every day! Thanks for going so easy on me!
One of my latest pregnancy quirks is that I have a ridiculous obsession with fruit and have single-handedly polished off four pineapples in five days. No exaggeration. I am consuming mangoes and berries by the bowl full multiple times a day, and occasionally Breyer's strawberry ice cream also wiggles its way into the fruit category. I can knock an entire pineapple into perfect bite-size pieces with minimal overall waste in under 3 minutes. It is quite the sight, and your dad gets a kick out of announcing "Pineapple Time!" every time he looks into the kitchen to see me at the island, pineapple by the scruff of its leaves in one hand, carving knife in the other. I'm hoping this means you'll enjoy your fruits and veggies!
I have absolutely loved carrying you over these past nine months, and I have to admit that I am a bit sad to have this experience come to an end. Yesterday, as I felt your little foot push into the same spot that it always does, I suddenly got a lump in my throat at the realization that I won't be feeling that little foot much longer. It has been such an amazing feeling to know that you are always with me, and I cherish the moments when I am trying to fall asleep--or trying not to fall asleep in a meeting--and feel you moving. To say that I can't wait to meet you is such an understatement, but really...I am just so excited to finally see your face and hold you in my arms.
See you soon, little man.
Love, Mom
10 comments:
This is so sweet and I know he will cherish all of these posts one day. Almost time! So exciting!
Lovely. I'm so glad you're feeling so great! And, just a thought, the lack of heartburn may actually be due in part to your pineapple obsession! My midwife recommended pineapple juice to me when I had heartburn with Noah. :)
You're so close!
already? wow.
I've so enjoyed following you on this journey. And I’m so excited to see the next phase in yall’s lives. I hope you still have time to blog!!
SO EXCITED FOR YOU!
so sweet Les! You look so great!
you make me cry. stop that.
I used to eat entire watermelons when I was pregnant. I also ate a lot of pineapple, too.
What a wonderful post. You will be a great mother.
Such a sweet letter to your little man. I'm glad you are feeling good! Cherish these last few weeks where you have your baby all to yourself in that cute tummy of yours. I remember the bittersweet end of pregnancy--sad to close such a fun, new chapter, but so excited to move to the next. :)
I craved fruit, too :) and can't wait for So You Think You Can Dance - it's my fav, too! I still love Martha - that's the only show I watch every day (except maybe a little Entertainment Tonight - have to know what's going on in the world :))
Shana
Post a Comment