Friday, April 23, 2010

Lasts

Unless Riggs decides to make an early appearance, my last day of work is one week from today. Since next week is Dead Days, this week has been one of "lasts." Last Panhellenic Recruitment meeting, last Service on Saturday, last time to judge the fraternity men in a womanless beauty contest.

Oh, wait...that was a first and a last.

But for some reason it all just hit me as I stood outside at my last yard show earlier this afternoon.

I suddenly remembered my first yard show on this campus. Each of the students was a total stranger to me, and though I had some experience with NPHC fraternities and sororities from my time in graduate school, the prospect of breaking into this group of students and being liked and respected by them was daunting.

But today, as they strolled and stepped by, I realized that I could tell you almost all of their names. And as they caught my eye, smiled and waved, or stopped for a hug and a chat about the baby they all can't wait to meet, I realized what wonderful relationships I have developed with them over the past two years.

And that's when it hit me. Something about this "last" just brought reality rushing in, and the tears began. (For the record, a 9-month pregnant, crying white woman is not a common site at a yard show. :) But instead of fighting it, I just soaked it all in, thanking the Lord that I am leaving a job I love enough to shed a few tears.

And making plans for Riggs' first yard show next Fall.

Something tells me he'll feel right at home.














2 comments:

Erin said...

It is such a blessing that you are leaving a job that you love to start another job that you'll love. Enjoy these last days before the 'transition'! :)

LyndsAU said...

I promise I think about you LOTS Leslie! I have fallen out of blog world but am working my way back :) Thinking about you and your pregnancy so much! Can't wait to meet Riggs :)