- Remember those Christmas decorations I was going to take down by the end of the week? Yep...still up.
- I had a mini internal panic attack yesterday when within about five minutes Riggins crawled over to the coffee table, pulled up, and began grabbing and pulling every. single. decorative item down. Twice.
- My coffee table now has those dorky little bumper thingies on the corners. My husband (aka, Mr Safety, Smoky the Bear, McGruff the Crime Dog) insisted that they were necessary. I reluctantly agreed. I'm hoping that I can peel them off when company comes over so that we can keep up this charade of being totally cool parents who haven't let their child completely turn their house upside down.
- Coffee table bumpers aside, I am really going to try to leave our home as normal as possible and avoid completely redecorating just because I have a kid. I really want to train him that not every thing in his line of vision is his to touch. Not only in our home, but also when we visit others.
- All you veteran moms who are laughing out loud and saying, "Just you wait!" I can hear you, you know! And I might be completely naive and clueless and, well, screwed. But I'm going to give it a fair fight, gosh darn it!
- I adore poached eggs. It is a neglected art form in the world of egg cooking.
- My dear hubby takes the first round (of three rounds) of board exams in exactly 9 1/2 weeks. He studies like it is his job. And, really, it is his job right now. Can you imagine taking two-day exam for 8 hours each day? It makes me lightheaded just thinking about it. Better him than me...my contribution to the effort is dinners, study snacks, and hot coffee.
- Our new semester of MOPS begins today and I am SO excited. This group has been such a blessing to me, and if you are a mother of young children you just have to find a chapter in your area!
Happy Thursday!
7 comments:
I am so with you on the teaching kids about things in a home. I don't have children so I'm no expert, but they must learn to respect things and not run wild.
You DEFINITELY can train them not to take stuff off of all your shelves! I did take away all the breakable stuff, but we taught Brayden what he could/could not play with and it works!
i also took down all breakable stuff.. and switched out my coffee table (glass top, sharp edges), but other than that left our house pretty much the same. you can do it.. consistency is key (unless your child is like my child and he thinks consistency equals a game.. ugh. still trying to figure tht out)
When Chandler first started walking earlier this week, he lost his balance by our coffee table & fell--smacking the back of his skull on the corner... If we hadn't had the foam on the corner, I'm pretty sure it would've been a hospital visit & some stitches.
I love bulleted lists.
A few months ago, we started saying, "Emery Mae, don't touch" when she would grab something off limits. I can say that after a few weeks of this, she caught on. Now, she does NOT remember which items she can and can't touch from day to day, but she'll head for something else if instructed to do so...mostly. ;) I'm with you. I didn't want to totally rearrange the whole house. Some obvious things were changed/added (plug protectors, cabinet pulls, a few breakables put away, etc.). I say keep up the charade as long as possible--ha!
I totally agree Les. (about taking off the ugly corner pads when guests come over.) :)
With that said, crawling was the age Jude had to learn the "NO" word. The only issue with not taking away all the "dangers" or breakables is that his play space can quickly become one big "no no." I've found it best to eliminate most all potential reasons for me to say those two hated letters.
...and isn't crawling the most spectacular and cutest thing ever?!! I still love to hear Jude's palms slap the ground---best sound ever.
I'm with you! We have left just about everything exactly as it was before Leighton was mobile. She hears the word "NO" quite often, but understands it now. It's a daily game of redirecting her around the living room so as to avoid my picture frames, candles, coffee table books, etc. But, I did not want my living room to scream BABY, ya know? I figure they'll eventually learn (though by that point, they'll prob be drawing on things they shouldn't or spilling drinks on beloved rugs...sigh).
Post a Comment