Saturday, February 12, 2011

If You Blog It, It Will Come...

That's right, folks.  After proclaiming the cuteness of my son's gummy grin to all of kingdom come, we now have a tooth!

Or, shall I say, we are getting a tooth!

The little mister has been a crabby pants for the past two days, complete with drool, raw red skin around the mouth, snotty nose, and diapers that smell like a port-a-potty on a hot summer day.  Add in a few legitimate meltdowns (made all the more dramatic by back-arching, limb-flailing, and swatting at anyone who attempts to console, wipe tears or snot, or anything of the sort) and I knew that something was up with my typically chill little buddy.

Sure enough, a brief investigation allowed me to feel the tiniest sliver of a hard little something on his bottom gum line, and when I finally managed to hold his lip back long enough (amid the above mentioned swatting, screaming, and flailing) I could see the faintest outline of a little tooth poking its way up to the surface.

What followed in a nutshell: more crying, more clinging, more whining, more fussing, more flailing, a brief interlude of happy crawling, some teething ring chewing, a dose of baby Tylenol, sweet holding and snuggling followed by suddenly pushing me away as though I were personally responsible for all the evils in the world of babyhood, followed by more snuggling and then more revolting.

And, finally, he is asleep.

And I just finished off some ice cream straight from the carton.

Like I said, I was just fine with waiting on this whole teething business....

(Just as I was about to hit "Publish Post," Jonathan walked in from a morning of studying with flowers and my favorite cookies from Fresh Market.  What a guy.  I might have sent a few desperate texts his way, and he definitely knew what would brighten my day!  Thanks, babe!)

6 comments:

keely said...

Poor Riggs. Don't be afraid to nurse- it actually helps the pain (for him) and they learn very quickly how to do it without biting. Promise. :)

Lyndsy said...

Oh goodness do I hear ya on this one! Heath has been so unusually crabby. Clinging like crazy- I can't walk out of the room he is in, but then I hold him and he snuggles then pushes away with all his might. Desperate for some relief without keeping him drugged up the entire few months this takes- I took a friend's recommendation and bought an amber teething necklace. Now I feel crazy telling people about this but for Heath it has made a world of difference and I've only given him Tylenol once in the last week we have had it- where I was doing avg 2xs a day prior to it. I'll probably blog about it soon!

Erin said...

Good hubby. :) Here's to the joys of teething!

Melissa Ruder said...

Love the blog, I think I've actually come across it before through the SCO loop of blogs. It was so nice chatting today. I hope the weather is nice next week so we can all meet up again.

Haley Nicodemus said...

Just wait for those molars! I thought they all 4 came in at once..nope! She cut the bottom two and now we are going through it all over again with the top two. YUCK. YUCK. and YUCK.

P.s. He's such a cutie!!

Auburn said...

So I had no idea about blogging and then things coming true. :) But ya know when I complained about Jude's sleeping habits awhile back on your letter to Riggs? Well that very next day Jude started taking an hour nap in the morning and an hour nap in the afternoon! Amazing! I would of complained a lot sooner!...but of course now that I wrote this we'll be back to 30 minute nappers.